User Tag List

Thread: Custom Characters for a Lacewing Game?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Characters for a Lacewing Game?

I'm making an online multiplayer, 8-direction movement Lacewing game, and I want there to be the option for custom characters. A good system I think could work is having the player customize their character in like, a menu frame, and cut the player sprite into different, customizable parts, and assign some sort of value to the parts depending on what option they chose. The problem is, I think the Lacewing engine I'm using treats other players all the same, and really as just something to load. I don't know how to load other's looks other's looks onto their respective characters. Is this possible? If the .mfa file is needed, I can gladly include it.

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what experience do you have with the Lacewing extension so far? If you're able to send a integers across from the server to the client (e.g. X and Y pos, direction value, etc), then you should be able to just as easily set and send a player's animation frame or colour as an integer as well. All it will take is a little deliberation from yourself. Just find a nice way to send integers and/or strings.

You can do whatever you want, just find the most practical way to do it. If you want I can take a look at the MFA.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking a look at the MFA would be great. I made a very quick customization thing just to get the point across and to give you something to work with. I tried to do some of it, but I'm stuck on the specifics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xftv5yeqbz...nline.mfa?dl=0 (The file exceeds the 1MB limit)

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc00tles View Post
    Taking a look at the MFA would be great. I made a very quick customization thing just to get the point across and to give you something to work with. I tried to do some of it, but I'm stuck on the specifics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xftv5yeqbz...nline.mfa?dl=0 (The file exceeds the 1MB limit)
    Ok so here's some things you need to be aware of.

1. Your character customization screen needs to remember what you chose. So put them into global values.

2. Your game is running at 60 fps, and you are blasting traffic on an Always condition. I guess that's fine for LAN, but we don't want to add our custom character stuff here because it would be inefficient.

3. Find somewhere you can SEND (not blast) a value which will be your character's customization (skin and/or hat, or whatever). Just to prove the concept, do something like every 1 seconds, send on subchannel 1 your character's customization.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the game to run to test anything, so here just play around with this. It would be nice if you learned to do this kinda thing, so just take this idea. Also I would really recommend naming your objects and variables better.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for replying! And sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. You should be able to test it just by clicking on Join Game without changing the server. In any case, this seems like helpful information, so thank you for that. Though I guess I’m still a little confused—is it that, since you’re sending your values of color/hats onto an object everyone can see, it will display for everyone else, with little need to do any scripting for their end? I’m still a little new to this.