User Tag List

Thread: Help with text boxes for a Point and Clikc game?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help with text boxes for a Point and Clikc game?

Hello everyone!
    I've just started using CTF 2.5 recently and I'm trying to make a small point and click adventure game. But I have some doubts about how to do certain things.

The main problem is this: How can I make it so that when the player clicks an interactable item, the game displays a message but not allows the user to click on anything else until the player closes the message?

I use String objects to display the text and a dynamic image as part of the UI or "text box". So far I can get the texts and UI to properly appear when certan items are clicked, and can make then dissapear when the player clicks on the text or the text box, but everything else on screen is still clickable even when the text is still on screen. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to make an event happen only after the player clicks on an object a certain amount of times or when a certain text has been displayed multiple times?

Thanks a lot and I apologize in advance is this are basic questions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your first issue use the PopUp Message Object 2. When you popup the message you must click the OK button or X to close the message and continue.

Sure use counters to track the number of times the player clicks on the text and how many times a message is displayed.

Then add events to trigger when the counters reaches a certain number. Well that's the general idea.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I'd handle this is just by using a global value to "lock" everything else while the dialogue is visible. So, for example you'd have to set up all of your clickable objects with an extra condition like so: "If user clicks on object and "Global value A" = 0 then "trigger your actions".
    Then just set "Global value A" to 1 whenever the dialogue window is visible and back to 0 when the window is invisible. This way, clicking on anything while your dialogue is visible will have no effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that be posible without objects? Because since I'm using single images as enviroments and everything triggers by the usr clicking in areas, not in objects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droberson View Post
    For your first issue use the PopUp Message Object 2. When you popup the message you must click the OK button or X to close the message and continue.

Sure use counters to track the number of times the player clicks on the text and how many times a message is displayed.

Then add events to trigger when the counters reaches a certain number. Well that's the general idea.
    That would use the windows pop ups, or main system pop ups, are those customizable? Because I wanted to use a custom UI.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drackonarius View Post
    Would that be posible without objects? Because since I'm using single images as enviroments and everything triggers by the usr clicking in areas, not in objects.
    Yes, it's no different really, just do "User clicks within a zone" and "Global Value A = 0" > Trigger your actions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try making your ui on its own layer. Create an invisible detector object that is always positioned to the mouse x,y. Start the invisible object on the layer of the interactive objects. You now do overlap collision checks with the detector instead of the mouse. When you click on something that starts a ui box, move the detector to the ui layer. Then check for the overlap between that invisible object and the ui.

This keeps your detector from interacting with game objects while ui is active. When you close the ui, move it back to your game layer.