User Tag List

Thread: Does pre-loading levels work?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does pre-loading levels work?

...how does one PRE-load a level if it's even necessary?

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a separate tool level editor to draw your levels, save them to array then load them from an array using loops.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my question is...is it necessary?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are asking if you can somehow load all the game data before you play, CF2.5 is in essence doing that automatically. If you are asking something else, you might want to be more specific. If you are just repeating a word you don't understand that you heard somewhere in a forum, you might want to point us to that reference so we can better understand your interpretation of "pre-load".

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobichan View Post
    If you are asking if you can somehow load all the game data before you play, CF2.5 is in essence doing that automatically. If you are asking something else, you might want to be more specific. If you are just repeating a word you don't understand that you heard somewhere in a forum, you might want to point us to that reference so we can better understand your interpretation of "pre-load".
    I see games that have loading screens.
    I'm not sure how to ask the question in my head.

I have a game that I'm currently working on...it's nothing ground breaking but...I just wonder if I'm doing it right.

But you did say CF2.5 does it all for me so I guess I shouldn't worry.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Games made with Fusion that's using a loading screen are most likely loading the levels from a file or an array. The reason the developer has chosen to do this is probably because it makes the creationprocess of the levels faster, and possibly also reduces filesize. As a beginner it's not something you need to worry about yet.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally just figured that writing the game script, making the script + objects global, and just create/draw the levels in their own different frames without any complications from arrays would be best, especially if all the levels have their own unique graphic designs instead of using the same boring tiles everywhere.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, to pre-load something means you are putting it in memory before it is used. Some games load big chunks of data right from the start. This means they don't need to be loaded later. Fusion essentially does this already if you are just putting things in the frame editor and running the frame. If you are creating objects while the game is running (for example, all the background tiles for a level) then this operation "might" require a bit longer and there will be a perceived pause to the game when it is running. Some people just let the pause happen, others break up their creation of objects into smaller loading routines and slap a bar graphic on screen to show how far along the loading process has gotten. Honestly, if you are new to Fusion and just getting your feet wet, you won't be needing to talk about loading screens or anything related to them for a while.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for all the info. Totally answered everything.