User Tag List

Thread: Is Lacewing able to handle an MMO?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Lacewing able to handle an MMO?

I have been working a game since October of 2017 and I have made a lot of progress with it! One thing that I am seeing as a possible issue is the game is an MMO. This means they game could have thousands of people on at once. Could a Lacewing server handel this? Also what if people are sending messages to the server, would the server get confused and not process them all correctly?
    I would like a response as quick as possible!
    Thanks ~ RaoK

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would write the server in C++. Which will have no problem providing you make you server scalable. Ie multiple servers. Say you had 10k active users. For 1 server to handle 10k clients is going to need a pretty decent server and bandwidth and offer no redundancy. You're better off allowing 2000 per server and allow clients to hop between.

I'd budget 2 servers for patch, 2 for login, 10 for game (spread across regions) if I was looking at 10k consecutive players.

If it's around 2k then maybe 1 patch and login and 2 game.

If your server is coded to scale up you would just spin up additional servers as they are needed.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks for this information. How would lacewing deal with multiple message being sent at the same time from different clients? Some of these messages need to be relayed back to a channel, so would the server get confused and sent it to the wrong channel?
    Also would a server being created with Fusion's event editor be able to work the same way? I have a good amount of experience with this buy I haven't been able to know how it will handle many message being sent to it at once. I am predicting that there could be at least 100 messages being sent to the server at any one time.
    Thanks for any information on this topic!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each client opens a socket on the server. The server would then loop through each socket to process the packet received. So the server wouldn't process all received packets at the exact same time. A server made with fusion would likely be too slow to cope with thousands of players. With C++ you can assign your own structure to a client including their socket. You could do this in fusion too but C++ is simpler I find. If your expect this amount of players I would say don't bother with a server made in fusion use C++.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, there is an open-source C++ server, available here. If you want a pre-built EXE, contact me on Discord, I'll make some customising changes too if they're quick.