User Tag List

Thread: Game is way too dark on modern tvs

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game is way too dark on modern tvs

Ive been working on a game for about a year and I have all the players mechanics coded and quite a few enemies. Also I have a loooot of artwork done. Its a pretty dark game. Lots of dark colors. It looks fine on the laptop I am developing on and on other laptops i have tested it on. But on both modern TVs ive tested it on it was too dark to really see anything. I know certain modern tvs have some kind of feature where they try to get closer to being able to display true black. I cant remember what its called. Maybe it has something to do with that. Also some people have said to set the TVs RGB scale to 0-255. But someday when people get my game I want it to look correctly right from the get go if they play on a TV. Most people probably wouldnt know what to do. And obviously console games typically work correctly without changing TV settings. I havent been able to get my game to look good on my TV yet. I dont want to have to change the colors of all the art in my game. That would be a huge task. The colors look the way theyre supposed to on PC. I dont want that to have to change either. Anybody else here experience this? What is the solution for this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you encountered is a very common problem with dark films or games where readability relies strongly on a good black value. I think that this is not something related to consoles vs PC, a bad display will still be a bad display. Most TVs use LCD/TFT technology which often suffer from bad black values. I have the same issue with my game, did a lot of graphics on an IPS panel which is a completely different beast, AMOLED is even better, but rarely used outside the tablet/phone spectrum. When looking at the graphics on a TFT I was really shocked. What you can try is using a pixel shader on your whole game frame an let the user adjust Saturation, Brightness and Contrast, there is a shader called "Color Adjust" by Sketchy. There are also color grading shaders around which may help to give your game some extra "glow", but they will change your colors.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh ok. I'll definitely check out Color Adjust first. Thank you!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick a lot of games do is to put in a Gamma adjuster before the game starts. Basically what they'll do is they'll put in some graphic and say "Increase your TV's gamma until ___ is just barely visible." I don't think Fusion can do this itself unless you use a shader across the entire frame, but at the very least this will help deliver the correct experience for all players, regardless of how well their TV's are calibrated.