User Tag List

Thread: Which version of Fusion do I need to be able to read entries in a database??

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which version of Fusion do I need to be able to read entries in a database??

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Fusion, only downloading the free version yesterday, so I'm asking for some advice before going any further.

I'm looking to remake an app that I made some years ago in a different software that is now no longer supported or updated called Neobook.

My understanding of programming is very basic (we're talking Commodore 64 levels here), but I did manage to make my app work previously.

Rather than being a game, the app is almost like a 'calculator' of sorts, that helps hairstylists correctly formulate their hair colour mixtures.

The UI is simply 2 pull down combo boxes where the hairstylist firstly selects the current hair colour code for their client, and then their desired hair colour code outcome (these lists are populated by looking up the 'haircolour_names' in a column of the database table).

Next, behind the scenes, the app looks up unique properties for each hair colour code in the table row, such as 'how light or dark it is on a scale of 1-10'.

We then do some maths, e.g. IF $target_colour_shade_lightness => $current_colour_shade_lightness SET $NeedsPeroxide="TRUE" ELSE $NeedsPeroxide="False";

^^^^That type of thing (that's my best attempt at basic!). There are a lot of conditional statements required based on the info about the colour code in it's row, which determine which 'results page' (or scene, I guess) the user will be taken to, and the text result that they will read. For example, the printed text on the correct 'results scene' might be, "Mix $Weight grams of $Strength peroxide and $ColourAmount grams of $TargetColourShade, then apply to the hair, leaving to develop for $DevelopmentTime mins."

So is this possible to recreate using Fusion 2.5? If so, which version would I need to purchase in order to accomplish this?

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to publish the app on mobile devices, as well as HTML5, and have it read the data (it never writes new data btw) from my web server. But for now, I just need to practice in rebuilding the basics of it so that it works on a local windows PC.

Many thanks,

Chris

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard version.
    The Pro version has an additional component to work with BLOBS, encrypted files and other goodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    The standard version.
    The Pro version has an additional component to work with BLOBS, encrypted files and other goodies.
    Hey Perry,

Thanks for your reply. I've been playing with the free version of Fusion all day and have completed the tutorials. I'm guessing I'd use ODBC in the standard version to connect to my Access database and look-up values?

The one thing I cannot figure out yet is how I would display those results to the end user in Fusion.

To simplify it, let's say we have a database table of fruits and their properties.

The user selects from a combobox (values generated by the the names of the fruit currently contained within the database) and they are taken to a new page, with the following dynamic text:

"Your chosen fruit, the (variable$FruitName) is ($FruitShape) in shape, and ($FruitColor) when ripe. It's grown mostly in ($FruitCountryOfOrigin)."

^^^For the life of me, I cannot figure how to achieve this in Fusion. I can't even find how to place a static text box onto the page for me to write the text into?

I've figured how to create variables using the project properties, and also how to do math with the numbers inputted by a user, then using a 'counter' to show the result.

But not text? Even a guide showing how to do, "What is your name?" input box, followed on the next scene with "Hello $YourName!" Welcome!" would be great at this stage. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you look in the Example folder?

For me it's
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Clickteam Fusion Developer 2.5\Examples\SQLite3
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Clickteam Fusion Developer 2.5\Examples\SQLite3 PRO

Not sure what the folder is called for the Free version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Did you look in the Example folder?

For me it's
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Clickteam Fusion Developer 2.5\Examples\SQLite3
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Clickteam Fusion Developer 2.5\Examples\SQLite3 PRO

Not sure what the folder is called for the Free version.
    Hey Perry,

I'm back and thanks for your help. I've caved in and bought the program plus the HTML 5 exporter. I can't post in the main support forum though as the Community Passport isn't working right now due to the server downtime

I'm desperately in need of help though - I've been at this all day!

I'm using ODBC with an Access database and I need to query for a record matching a user's input.

So far, the user selects their main search term via a combobox.

I then store that value in a global alterable string named TargetShadeSelected (I'll be using it throughout the app later).

So now I'm trying to reconnect to the database and search for all entries in the column 'TargetShade' that match the global alterable string. There's an issue with my SQL though?

"Select from main where TargetShade = TargetShadeSelected" - I know this isn't right, so I try to use the value from the combobox instead:

"Select from main where TargetShade = Combo Select$( "Combo_SelectTargetColour" )" and I get a Syntax error.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
    Chris

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw: it will save you time if you take care from the start, which extensions are supported by which runtimes (win, html5, iOS,...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Btw: it will save you time if you take care from the start, which extensions are supported by which runtimes (win, html5, iOS,...)
    Thanks Stingray for your reply. I know that ODBC is only for Windows, but I'm developing the Windows App first. Once it's done, and I've learned how to put it all together, I'll start looking into using the GET for remote database hosting.

Right now I'm just really struggling trying to get the SQL command to work at all. I can select data using fixed values, just not with Fusion's Alterable Strings or Values.

This is Day 3 of me trying to solve it :sigh: