User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to make an isometric game?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gurglak View Post
    Thanks! Your game looks really cool also!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Thanks! Your game looks really cool also!
    Thanks a lot mate ! its been a learning process with about 2000 hours clocked in.. and still not close to finishing the demo ( yes too big scope for my skill.) But I'm going to keep at it.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This helped me a great deal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH-o0YNXlIA

Also, if you go onto Amazon you can find isometric grid paper - great for hashing out graphics before you work on them digitally.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redhades has a good example that helped me when I was doing an isometric game. Here's at least one version of it... can't remember if there's a newer one out there somewhere. https://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=6517

The most accurate way to do the sorting is for your objects to all have X, Y, and Z coordinates (using alterable values) as well as X, Y, and Z dimensions (also alterable values). This makes sense, since isometric really has 3 dimensions, not 2. You position the objects' 2D X and Y positions on the screen using those X, Y, and Z alterable values. In other words, when you want an object to move, you change the XYZ values a certain way, then set the object's X and Y position on the screen to what it should be based on those values, if that makes sense.

Anyway - you use these values for layering the objects properly. When objects overlap, test the XYZ dimensions against each other, and figure out which object goes in front or behind. Static objects can get sorted once at the beginning of the frame, then you just always check the moving objects against statics and each other. It's a little complex, but it works!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 404 error on the download link.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my computer now (was on my phone) - attached the file for convenience. This is Redhades' isometric engine. Has a very thorough explanation .doc file in there. Like I said it's a little complex, but it works
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect. Thank you for the salvage.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2