User Tag List

Thread: OpenGL ES 1.1 faster than 2.0/3.0 ??

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OpenGL ES 1.1 faster than 2.0/3.0 ??

Hi!
    I'm doing some tests, exporting my android game with different settings in order to see which ones have the best performance in terms of speed.
    It seems to me that if I set 'Display Mode' to OpenGL ES 1.1 (instead of 2.0 or 3.0), the game plays a bit faster, with a more stable fps. Other settings are the same: build API 28, minimum/target android 3.0, require GPU, color reduction, 16 million colors. Tested with a modern device (Samsung Galaxy S8).
    Is it really possible that OpenGL ES 1.1 has better performance in some cases or I'm missing something?

Thank you,
    Fabrizio

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, OpenGL ES API versions 2.0 and 3.0 will provide faster graphics performance.
    However, you should choose the most suitable solution for your game and if you can use OpenGL ES 1.1 and you think it's more stable, then there is probably no reason to choose a higher OpenGL ES API version.
    Maybe Fernando has a good explanation why OpenGL ES 1.1 might improve Frame stability with Android Runtime.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hmm no, 1.1 is a backward compatibility right now min is 2.0 in all device, if you don't use shaders (effect like transparency, add inverter, etc) you can use it, but I don't see why with the hardware available there is a slow down in opengl 2 or 3
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have my testing on multiple range of devices a year ago. OpenGL ES 2.0 works better than 3.0 for some reason.
    Now, I am moving on to 3.0 since I have higher api now, I tested my game with android os 5.1 and above, and it looks more fluid with Nougat and Oreo on my test devices.
    In my theory, the higher the API it gets better, atleast for me. My minimum target is android 4.1 to 4.4, it only has very little userbase, mostly their old phones are dying. people have good phones nowadays (in my stats)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    that's is true please always build with latest API, keep high target and min 4.0.1.

the runtime allow you to set opengl 3.0 and when start it will detect if it is available in case is not present it will automatically downgraded to 2.0
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the explanation. It's strange, because it looks like I'm getting better fps on my device with 1.1, but I will test less recent devices to see if I notice any difference.