User Tag List

Thread: Anybody kind enough to look over my code before I make more levels with it?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody kind enough to look over my code before I make more levels with it?

Hey everyone,

I've been ploughing away for the past 3 weekends trying to learn programming with Fusion.

I am really proud of how far of I've been able to get in creating the foundations for a platformer, but there are some issues I'm still struggling with, and need to resolve them before making any further levels to the game (there are 30 levels in total to recreate).

I've attached the file containing the first 2 levels of my game (a recreation of the C64 platformer, 'Blagger') hoping some of you will be kind enough to take a look at it and help me out with feedback / pointers in the right direction?

Specifically,

1. How do I ensure all of my fonts match? If you look, you will see that the HiScore counter and the Score counter cannot be set to use the same number designs. How do you folks work around this?

2. As I'm recreating a C64 game, I have set the Frames to the same resolution as the original C64. This has helped me loads in designing the sprites and animations etc. exactly as they were, but when it comes to using text, I'm screwed, as the lowest font pitch I can use in Fusion is 8. I really need a much lower font size - or a different solution all together? Perhaps a way of making a custom font?

3. My first level plays nicely, but when designing the second level, I came across a problem. The whole frame is surrounded by 8x8 tiles, which the player should not be able to overlap. Unfortunately, they can. I tired to get around this by adding a pixel to the top of the hitbox, but that then creates all sorts of problems within the game (it's a jumpthrough platformer). What would be the correct work around for this?

And finally, is my code OK or are there any bugs / chances for improvement in it before I copy it 28 more times and run into something I'm not expecting?

Thanks all in advance for your help and guidance.

Chris

P.S. When designing the original level, I used an image to 'trace' where the platforms were etc. I've since deleted the picture, but I can't seen to delete the holder for it from the frame. So it comes up as "This picture is missing" when you open the file. Any idea how to delete an inserted picture holder?
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re fonts - have you tried using the "text blitter" object? I use that for all our fonts, as you can draw your own and add effects etc

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to the website "open game art" there are a few free, tiny pixel fonts as small as 5x5 pixels, so if you use those with text blitter or your own custom blot engine, or just pre-rendered objects, you'll have crisp pixel text for low res games.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t write / play platformers, but I did notice a few things:
    • Line 45 – only 1 action when event loops – this can behelpful in Fusion but also create chaos – because if Fusion is beyond that linethen it will ignore it and that won’t happen. It’s better to use a Flag or value to control it this case.
    • The collision under “WinTheLevel” – when a line is red itindicates that it should be the first line for Fusion to work correctly – drag itto the top and it will turn green.
    • Your Counter_Time_Left being different from zero shouldchange to >0
    • Your counter time left = 0 should change to <= 0 (Because when there’s a lot going on Fusion might subtract 1more from counter before it executes the counter = 0 command and if yourcounter is now -1 – it will never stop.)

Now this bit the people with experience with Fusion platformerswould have to help you – but as far as I can see you’re not checking multipleactions simultaneously – so I can jump and that code executes first as a keyboardcontrol gets preference – now I can jump right out of the frame and jumpthrough things because it’s going to finish executing the jump before checking thecollision and then I’m in a position you haven’t provided for and if Fusion isconfused, it does nothing.
    And furtherbecause you’re always adding the bit to check the stripe at the player’s feetthe collision may not trigger as none of those events are true – you haven’tprovided for all possible scenarios.

(I just clicked on the missing picture and pressed delete.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack op spaces in my previous post is because I copied & pasted it from Word and Fusion did that - the spaces are in Word.

At present when I try to edit the post I just get a blank page and I can't do anything - tried it in two browsers. So @Simon - there's an issue with posts in the forum and still no bug tracker ...

Edit: I can edit stuff I typed in directly - it's the copy and paste from Word that fails.