User Tag List

Thread: A question to the forum members.

Clicker iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A question to the forum members.

Hi all.

I am now very close to releasing my game (its for the PC and Android tablet/large format android phones) but there is one element I have still not decided on, and I would like to ask the forum members what they have done or would do with their games.

The element I have not put in place yet is the payment system.

Generally there are 3 ways for a game to earn money.

1. You sell the game for a set amount.

2. You have "micro-payments" within your game that let the player buy items etc.

3. You have advertisements pop up when a player wants to buy something and you get the revenue from the advertiser.

I have to be honest that I do not have a clue as to how easy (or hard) it is to do number 2 and 3 within a game........tho I believe I read that Fusion 2.5 does have an add-on that lets you implement them?!

So guys and galls..... Can you please tell me which option you have tried (or would do) and why.

And.......Thanks for all the help you have given over the months. :-)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all: Congrats that you’re close to release! For you question I think the way to monetize depends above all technical questions on the type of your game. Can you give some hints?

One thing I can say for sure tho is being very careful with cross-platform releases on PC and mobile. Mobile will likely harm your PC pricing if you go with option 1. Any reason why you skip iOS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Julian... Thanks for the congrats.....Its been a long road! LOL.

I never thought that the mobile would harm the pricing on the PC side if I sold it for a set amount.... Hey...Good point. Because of that, lets forget option 1.

To answer your 2 questions.......

"Any reason why you skip iOS?"

No...none at all really. I wanted to release for PC and for the Android tablets..........Plus the company I will be selling through is looking at those too. However I will be (if everything goes well) converting it for the iOS at a later time.

"depends above all technical questions on the type of your game. Can you give some hints?"

Oooo....Well......I can but I cant say too much until the official release time.

However, this is what I can tell you.......

Remember Angry Birds?

Without getting too much in to it, Angry Birds was a tarted up version of the old classic "Catapult" games. Like other games they took a formula that worked and was popular and then redressed it...added more content, more maps, added cute characters etc etc, and the rest is history.
    It exploded on to the market and just took off.

That has been done before with other game types, and one day while I was thinking what to do I had a brainwave.... I had been playing one of those Burger Time Restaurant apps..... You know....The ones where you cook a burger, slap it in a bun, add ketchup, lettuce etc etc etc, throw in a drink and serve it up to the computer customer.

I suddenly saw how to improve on this format of game and how to develop it in to a MUCH better and more immersive game...more challenge, more fun, etc. Just like Angry Birds did (Or if you remember it, Theme Hospital by bullfrog, which was based on a simpler older game.).

I cant say any more to you....yet....but trust me, its something that is not on the market and is "new" (lol...is anything!?!?) and I have been approached by a big name software company as they saw the market potential and offered me stupid money + royalties to release it.

Im not saying that to sound big headed, but its just what happened Julian. Like I contacted em and told them my game concept and no kidding, within 24 hours I was offered a contract with them.

So..... The last thing to do......apart from a few tweaks to the game that they want, is to finalise the money side of it.

Personally I dont mind option 2 or 3...whatever is easer tbh.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great story, dude

If youíre unsure of how to monetize it best I would for sure ask my publisher for advice too. They have all the information about your game an already threw some money at you. That normally only happens if someone has an own idea about monetizing.

Please donít cut option 1 yet. All I wanted to say is that paid apps are sold within a much lower price margin than PC games and most customers will demand about the same price on all systems. So if youíre ok to sell your game on PC for 3 bucks then go for it. For some games this makes totally sense and taking option 1 does not exclude following microtransactions at all.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set Price:
    PC Games for the casual market sell at $6.99 to $9.99 retail and typically you can get a discount on that price or a 2 for 1 sale. (The time management game you refer to is the casual market.) This game needs to be at least 5 - 6 hours long from start to finish.
    Then you have the collectors' edition that sell for twice that - and except for hidden object games they simply annoy the customers because they cost twice as much. To qualify as a collectors' edition you need extras, like a walkthrough and more levels. A collector's edition should be longer.

The non-casual market games are far more expensive - and I'd go look at what the popular games are priced at in the store you're going to be listing at - they're often priced at $19.99 and up.

In-app purchase
    You would have to design your game with that in mind - the person would need to buy more lives - or upgrades etc and your game would have to allow for that. Typically the stores like this model because they make more money than the fixed price - and typically a lot of customers won't touch these games, or will play them but never spend any money. However, there must be enough people playing the game i.e. paying for stuff because the stores love this model - so it must be lucrative for them.

Advertising in PC games does happen in one or two stores - typically they offer the game free for the day but with advertising. The stores advertise inside the games or in their game consoles - but they add that in afterwards. I've only seen this at Game House and Wildgames (Wildtangent). I don't know how popular these games are - typically what you find is markets with people who can't afford games will go for this (South America, India, Africa) - but then there isn't much advertising aimed at them - so you don't earn much.

Time management games on mobile tend not to work well because they end up being too small - so it also depends on what screen size you built the game for and if it's playable on a small screen as is. I've also found that where I had a PC game and a mobile version I had to either create two versions - one with graphics at PC screen size and one with graphics at mobile screen size - or if the type of graphic allowed for it to create at mobile screen size and have the PC stretch. (Cartoon type graphics don't stretch well, not if they have black lines around them. Rendered graphics stretch well.)

Another thing I'd suggest that if you have a hybrid type game to have a very good tutorial so that people will understand how to play the game - a "new" type of game is a very hard sell.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked the approach of using ads and then allowing the user to buy an ad-free version. Best of both worlds.
    Or the classic shareware model of having a part of the game open and then requiring payment to open the rest. Nintendo did this with Mario Run, mixed success but seemed fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

@Julian
    I would for sure ask my publisher for advice too.
    Yes, they wanted to have it micro-trans, however I did tell them that I would have to code that (and im not too sure how to! LOL) and they basically said, fine, get back to us when you have made your mind up. I do feel tho that they want it fed by micro, but I dont think they would be pi$$y over it tbh as they really want it.

I will be honest Julian, this game has been slow in the making cos I have not only had to learn F2.5 but also because I have another job on with a much smaller firm producing 3 games for them which are being included in a "Pocket Money" series (a multi-pack of games from diff people) which is gonna be sold on Humble Bundle if I remember.

Heres a clip from one of them...a water level(no collision detection on the enemys tho...just testing it out)

So its my fault that I have not already sorted out the payment thing for the game! *Sigh.....so much to do and so little time in a day!!

@zip2kx
    I've always liked the approach of using ads and then allowing the user to buy an ad-free version. Best of both worlds.
    THATS a great idea m8. Never thought of that....

I will look in to it.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.