User Tag List

Thread: Best way to do UI and scaling?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to do UI and scaling?

Hello!

here's an issue i havent really thought about before; whats the best way to do UI with buttons and text? Is it better to bake the text into a button image or have a string overlapping the button?

Thus far i've done the simple thing of using an image as buttons but when scaling the game to full screen (original size is 630xSomething) everything becomes blurry and with ugly anti alising. Would it be better to have strings that switch font size? Or maybe menu frames should be a bigger size and then scaling the window down if it's windowed?

Or is there a better way out there?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On PC - it's best to create large - at least 1920x1080 and then scale down for Window Size.

Active Object or Active Picture have better graphic capabilities than the buttons. (Also some things, if I remember correctly, it was the buttons, doesn't work in Direct 3D Full screen.)

Fusion doesn't render strings / fonts very well either on Windows - when I have a lot of text I actually create it in a graphics programme and export it as .png and import it into Fusion. It just looks a lot better. (Although on Android the text looks great, so I use the strings there - saves on memory / package size.)

I find it easier to create a graphic menu interface in a graphics programme and import it into Fusion - but that's probably just my personal preference.

I've never quite managed to figure out all the hoops you have to jump through to make the font packer work - so from my perspective Fusion doesn't support fonts (because I can't get it to work) - and then a graphics programme gives me more options.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips!
    I got the word embedder to work after some trial and error but yeah it's not the smoothest thing.

I was a bit unclear in the first post, i never used the button object, i meant the active object.

Do you have your game frames the same size as the Menu frame or are those smaller?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all my frames the same size. (I only have different sized frames when it's a game that scrolls.)

My menu objects are "global objects" that I use throughout the game, with the exception of some settings that are just on the "settings / menu options" screen - so the size has to work throughout the game.

(I could get the font thingy to work by me - but had someone test the game on a computer in a different country / different language - they sent me screenshots - it did not work.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Active System Box is a good alternative for buttons. It is basically a string object that lets you use an image as a background. It also have alterable values. Unfortunately I have experienced bugs with it on mobile combined with scrolling and layers, so I have getting used to simply use an Active object instead, and design the entire button including text in an image editor.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback boys. Fusion and scaling is a weird thing, i'll play around and see if i can find the best solution.