User Tag List

Thread: Best way for Bullets

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way for Bullets

What's the best way to go about making a player shoot? I'm working on a Contra style platformer and I'm having difficulty with the shooting aspect. Launch Object has it's limits but seems to be the easiest. I can't figure out how to properly use a fastloop. I'm using an Xbox controller by the way so when pressing the button It shoots...a lot. I'm working on limiting that too.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was working on a Contra project with one of my buddies a few years back, i'd hook you up with the file if i could find it lol. Launch works well for your standard single style bullets i.e. machine gun, flame shots etc, but when doing things like a spray shot i had better results making those a bouncing ball object, then link them up with the player direction and create x amount of bullets you want at the hotspot of the gun, pointing in different directions so it spreads. If you need help past this let me know and i can make you a generic example.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're only shooting in one of the 32 directions (and not using precise angles) then launch object will work great, as long as you're OK with the maximum speed of the bullet being 250

Otherwise, using the vector movement, physics objects or doing your own movement with alterable values to store floating point X/Y coords works too

If you want the bullets to fire instantly like a hitscan weapon rather than a projectile (e.g. the railgun in quake rather than the nail gun or rocket launcher) then you'll have to use fast loops (unless there's an extension that I don't know about!)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a simple example using math. I would recommend getting used to sin/cos for movement as it will give you a lot more freedom to do advanced things in the future. I also added a shotDelayTimer var so you can control how fast the shots are created.

shooting_example.mfa

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dug in yesterday and figured out the mechanics pretty good. Also I used VACCINE...which is AMZING!! I'm still debating on with our not to change the bullets like the fire or laser...
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out that "Shooting_example" when I get home.