User Tag List

Thread: Big FPS drop using HWA - MacBook Pro 2015 -- HELP!

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big FPS drop using HWA - MacBook Pro 2015 -- HELP!

Hi folks--

Has anyone run a HWA-enabled game on a MacBook Pro? I recently installed Windows 10 on my wife's MacBook Pro (2015), and I'm seeing huge frame rate drops when shaders are on the screen.

If anyone has encountered this issue, I'd love to know what you did to overcome it. I've included a screenshot of the Intel Graphics Control Panel -- maybe there's a perfect combo of settings to use? (I've tried many combos so far -- nothing is helping.)

What I'm seeing:

- My other computer is a desktop running Win 7 with a discrete and pretty powerful GPU...frame rate is 60 FPS constant
    - On the MacBook, FPS drops to 30 when objects with shaders are displayed
    - FPS will drop down even further, the more shader objects are created
    - With task manager out, I see no significant spikes in cpu or gpu utilizations

Device:

- Win 10 64-bit on 2015 MacBook pro (dual boot)
    - Integrated gpu: Interl Iris Pro Graphics 5200
    - Fusion 2.5 Dev, Steam version

Already tried:

- Updating the gpu drivers
    - Updating directx drivers
    - Trying different combos of Fusion 2.5 application properties
    - Turning vsync on and off
    - Doesn't matter whether the application is fullscreen, windowed, resized, ratio-preserved, etc.

I've attached an example file that uses different amounts of shader objects. It uses the Lens object, so there's an executable version too if you don't have that shader.

If anyone has dealt with this, please let me know what you did to fix it! Thanks everyone.

win10_FPSdrop.mfa

win10_FPSdrop.zip

intelSettings.jpg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a thread similar to this a couple weeks ago. Shaders take up a lot of horsepower, but interestingly, the fewer objects you apply them to, the better. The trick that helped my project out BIG TIME on my Ryzen 2500U laptop (integrated graphics) was to use apply the shader to a layer, rather than to each individual object. Then put those objects on that layer. You can then add an invisible collider object onto the gameplay layer, if necessary. My game had been running at about 15-20fps with shaders on individual objects, and then a smooth 60fps as soon as I switched to using shaders on layers instead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, dsilvers -- I wanted to get home from work and try this out before responding. DAMN, that worked! Great suggestion! There's no discernible difference *functionality*, which is awesome, but obviously it's easier on the program for some reason.

Thanks for the advice! I should be able to make this work, and now I know that I was potentially alienating folks with integrated graphics cards.

Hey, and a shout out to Boston! I lived there for 10 years, and just moved back to CT this past year to be closer to family.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @alxmrg So happy that worked! Yeah I'm not really sure why it's a thing. Probably just something to do with the number of times a shader has to be called more than what it actually has to calculate. I'm no expert, I just know it worked for me, and I'm glad it worked for you as well!

CT is still not too far away! Do you make it up for PAX and BostonFIG and such?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're right about that. Applying a shader to a whole layer is basically the same as shading one huge object, which is much more effective than processing individual actives. The shader code is only executed once per frame loop, it does not matter how many objects you have on the shader layer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey - I just wanted to come back and leave an update. I just installed the new 2.5 plus DLC, and without changing anything, the slow downs I was seeing before are gone.
    (I already implemented the "cheaper" fix for pretty much everything, but was toying around with a menu that was still seeing slow down because of a shader.)

This leads me to believe that there was indeed some clickteam code that has since been optimized. Not to say I'm complaining - clickteam rocks!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I noticed when I upgraded that RAM usage suddenly dropped to like 25% of what it had been. Kind of incredible.