User Tag List

Thread: Optimizing Tiles with Quick Backdrops?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Optimizing Tiles with Quick Backdrops?

I've got large areas that need to be filled with 1-color tiles, and I've been using backdrops for up to 128x128 tiles, but it just occurred to me that I could be using quick backdrops that are 8x8 and resize them to 128 or 256. Just wondering if this is indeed the most efficient way to do these large tiles, and how much does it actually save? Thinking of doing it for my 64x64 tiles as well, although it'd be a little tedious. Worth it? I really want the game to run and as old/crappy hardware as possible (within reason) so I'm just curious

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just made a quick test file in fusion with 128x128 backdrops filling up the entire screen and compared it to quick backdrops (about 135 of em)

With 135 tiles, backdrops take up 50MB of RAM while quick backdrops take up 49MB of ram. There's probably better tools out there to more accurately figure out the overhead a backdrop has vs a quick backdrop but it looks like there is a (very very small) difference, but unless you're really squeezed for RAM it looks like a regular backdrop will be fine. On lower end systems you might be more likely to run into CPU or video bottlenecks before you come across ram issues

If you do have performance issues (or you're looking to optimise), organising your events into groups and deactivating events (and fast loops) that aren't needed is probably the quickest way to do it

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thumbs up thanks for the info