User Tag List

Thread: Time X Extension causes severe slowdown on Gamepad disconnection

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Time X Extension causes severe slowdown on Gamepad disconnection

Hey guys,

today I found the source of complex and severe FPS dropping issue that has been bugging me for a while now.
    The source of it is Time X Extension combined with a certain Gamepad connection state.

I boiled it down to the attached .mfa. It has just one line of code which is setting a counter to the current framerate.
    Frame 1 is the test frame, Frame 2 contains the Time X extension without any code or further objects.

I hope for a heads up to get a clue about it. Cuz I would really hate to dissect Time X Extension from nearly 8000 lines of code in the state my project is now.

Now here's what's happening, maybe someone can reproduce it:
    1. Connect an Xbox Gamepad together with a generic gamepad, then launch the app
    2. Close the app, disconnect the Xbox gamepad
    3. Relaunch the app with only the generic gamepad connected, the FR of the idle app goes down to 3-10 FPS

Test mfa: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftx7646mrw...wdown.001?dl=0

Clickteam Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tested your .mfa and my results were quite different.
    Tested with a generic gamepad (10 or so years old by now) and a wired xbox one controller, my results were:

- No controllers: 59 to 60
    - Both controllers: 59 to 60
    - Xbox disconnected only: 59 to 60
    - Generic disconnected only: unstable 20 to 55 fps, sometimes freezes

It looks like the absence of the generic controller makes the fps go haywire, sometimes even completely freezing the app until either the xbox gamepad is disconnected or the generic is plugged back in (This freeze happens at the start, I even somehow got it to freeze at 63 fps).

This might happen due to the xbox controller not having something and thousands of errors are being logged (generic gamepad has this info, so no errors), killing the framerate. But I can't know for sure.
    I've also made a new application with the same layout that you have (2 frames, first with fps counter, second with Time and the exact things occur, even when built.

I'm not sure why this happens exactly, but I can notify others at Clickteam about this so they check it out.
    However, since the Time X extension is very old by now and not made by clickteam either, that might not be much of help.
    - BartekB, a.k.a Uppernate
    Join the Click Converse Discord! - https://discord.gg/7RNXFrC
    Dungeon Raiders! - Link soon™

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for checking out! My guess is that Time X somehow interferes with Fusion polling for devices when a frame starts. IMO such a severe drop can be caused by a polling event running on loop. For my current situation I decided to get rid of Time X, as it’s not essential for my project. The issue is gone now. Time X is still a widely used extension tho. This bug is for sure very specific, but if it happens it’s game breaking.