User Tag List

Thread: Attempting to make 3D background for 2D shmup

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attempting to make 3D background for 2D shmup

Hi, as the title says, I'm attempting to add 3D background functionality into a top-down 2D shmup engine that I'm making (similar to Touhou Project's 3D backgrounds.)

I've tried using the parallaxer object, but it's too limited.

I've tried using the perspective object, but it's too finicky and drags the framerate down too much.

I've tried using OpenGL, and I successfully managed to create the sort of background that I want, but it appears on top of everything. I've read in a short OpenGL thread that there's supposed to be a 'Display above Frame' option that I can uncheck to fix this, but I can't find that option anywhere. Maybe it got removed? Anyways, OpenGL seems like the most likely way to get this to work properly.

I've played around a little with the 3D mesh object, and it seems like it potentially could work, but limited camera controls make it hard to have the control that I need, and I'm worried that it might make the framerate too slow. Plus it's only one model, rather than rendering a full scene, which would make it hard to work with.

I've looked into Mode 7, and I don't think it's capable of what I need. I haven't actually tried to use it, though, so maybe it can. I doubt it, though.

P3D and Firefly would definitely work, but I can't really afford to buy anything at the moment, so they're not an option.

So, with all of that explained, does anybody have any idea of how I can make a 3D background? Are there ways to work around the limitations of any of these extensions I've talked about? Does another way of making 3D backgrounds in CF2.5 exist that I have completely missed?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't use a 3d rendering video loop in the background?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually tried pre-rendering a video before, and it works, but it makes it very hard to do fancy stuff, such as having the camera slowly tilt upward. In that specific example I suppose I could just pre-make a video that's long enough for the full stage, but I'd prefer to see if there's another way first.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look at the 3D Mesh object to see if you could use that.
    You're right, it's quite lacking in the camera controls which will make things tricky, I think the best you can do is have everything scrolling directly at the camera straight on, or top view, but I think doing camera rotations is going to be hard as you don't seem to have any control over the camera's rotation, only it's position.
    3DScene.mfa
    (you'll need the 3D Mesh extension to open that, it's in the extension manager. You'll also need this 3D file, and you'll need to re-assign it to BOTH the 3D Mesh objects in the scene).

But yeah, I think it probably sucks, you'll have to make the whole level as a single multi-texture object, and it'll have no lighting or shading.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probably isn't the solution you're looking for, but you could use Firefly. I don't think there's any reason layers above Firefly's render would be disrupted, and if you're looking to control the 3D background from your game code / have them interact, that's probably the most natural way.