User Tag List

Thread: Frustum Culling feature in Fusion?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Frustum Culling feature in Fusion?

Hello.

I am making a game that might have more than 20000 objects in the future. That being said, I am wondering if there us a frustum culling feature, which is a feature that only renders everything in view.

Cheers!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fusion will always only render what is on screen, 20000 is the maximum object count Fusion can handle tho, you’ll most likely hit a bottleneck with that setup.

It’s not only about rendering. You’ll need to scope very carefully to make sure complex operations like collision checks are only applied if essentially needed. Fusion has an auto-scoping feature to inactivate objects outside the visible frame, but for more advanced needs you’ll have to do a custom setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Yes, I know I am necroposting, but I never paid attention to this thread :P)

Yea, I am making something like Terraria, which, as you know, is an object hogger, so I am looking for ways to reduce counts, or maybe go beyond 20000 (if possible without frying my ram). In other words, optimize the games for heavy object counts.

Where can I find out about the auto-scope in this case?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, the object limit recently got increased to 30000, as of build 292.0

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what are these legendary games you speak of needing more than 20,000 objects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i need to teach you what a minecraft is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reminding me about the 30,000 limit, I might change the game's limit to that rn

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the limit should be either lifted altogether or risen to some ridiculous amount such as 2147483647 that it basically becomes "as much as your computer can handle".

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine there's some kind of performance reason why the number of objects is limited - i.e. not just your own computer but the runtime itself.

Having said that, 30,000 objects (or even 20,000) is a LOT. Fusion already does some optimisations for objects offscreen (deactivating them, with this behaviour being toggleable via a checkbox).

Games that *do* handle large numbers of objects at once tend to 'stream' them in as needed - in Minecraft these are referred to as Chunks. Since worlds are procedurally generated, the game streams these 'chunks' in rather than handling every single object at once in RAM.

You could do something similar in Fusion - if you're making a terraria style game, you could define each 'column' of tiles and store them as an array or something, and dynamically load them in.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely won't be having 20,000+ objects in your frame if you care at all about performance. Games with huge "open worlds" in 2D (and 3D) almost always render only the tiles in the viewport + maybe a few rows/columns outside the viewport, with tiles that pass outside this boundary being destroyed and tiles you approach being created, as marbenx said.