User Tag List

Thread: "Load on Call" in Data Elements

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Load on Call" in Data Elements

Hello all. I have a question about Load on Call in the Data Elements menu. I understand that Load on Call for an object means it will not be loaded into memory until it is created during a frame. Then when you exit the frame it will be released from memory.

Is this the same for Load on Call for Data Elements? For example, if I play a song during a frame and it is loaded into memory, will it un-load from memory once the frame ends? I've got a ton of sounds in my game and I'm trying to optimize. If anyone has any knowledge on this, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but you have to be careful like in option "follow the frame" When the option is on the object doesn't follow the frame but when it off then it follows... I reported this but CT don't agree with me for some reason...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of testing to try this out with a blank project, a couple empty frames, 4MB sound file and just kept an eye on the memory usage in the debugger.

If "Play sounds over frames" is checked off
    - the moment you switch to a new frame a sound file that's no longer in use will be released from memory
    - this seems to happen whether "Load on Call" is enabled or disabled for that sound - i.e. regardless of whether you have this turned on or off, the sound no longer takes up RAM

If "Play sounds over frames" is checked on
    - switching frames will not release the sound from RAM if it's currently playing
    - stopping the sample before switching frames will free up RAM, but it didn't seem to free up *all* of it. it freed about 3MB of RAM rather than 4MB

Depending on the platform you're developing for, this kind of optimisation *might* be unnecessary. If you're getting any frame drops I'd be looking instead at events that create multiple objects at once (like, 100+), objecst with a bunch of effects/transparencies, or any events that use lots of fast loops

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post
    I don't know but you have to be careful like in option "fallow the frame" When is on the object don't fallow the frame but when it's off then fallow... I reported this but CT doesn't agree with me for some reason...
    This option basically says "will it follow the frame's X/Y coordinates" or "will it move, independently of the frame" (like with it's own X/Y coordinates relative to the screen rather than the frame)

Basically, turn it on for most objects, and turn it off for things like the UI that you want to always follow the window rather than the frame when it moves

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot! I'll have to go through and see if turning "Play sounds over frames" off will have an impact on anything.

I'm not really having frame drops or anything, just doing what I can.

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but there is only "follow the frame" So... If "on" then it should follow and when it's "off" then not. There is no extra information about it... Now it is work in reverse order. I can give you examples when checked option equal "on" in CF and work in good order but this one when it's "on" is equal disabled. So is this one is good then a lot of options are bad...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azurie View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'll have to go through and see if turning "Play sounds over frames" off will have an impact on anything.

I'm not really having frame drops or anything, just doing what I can.
    My usual method is to get something made/working then focus on optimisation later - for me, it's very easy to fall into the hole of optimising and over-optimising something before it's even done, and I end up not getting it done 

Sorry, but there is only "follow the frame" So... If "on" then it should follow and when it's "off" then not. There is no extra information about it... Now it is work in reverse order. I can give you examples when checked option equal "on" in CF and work in good order but this one when it's "on" is equal disabled. So is this one is good then a lot of options are bad...
    Are you saying the description of what the button does isn't clear, or that it's broken for you? It should work like this:

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but you have to be careful like in option "follow the frame" When the option is on the object doesn't follow the frame but when it off then it follows... I reported this but CT don't agree with me for some reason...
    You misunderstood the feature, it works correctly as expected - "follow the frame" = move as the frame moves and the frame means the actual background, the canvas with coordinates. If this option is ON, then when you scroll, the object remains on its position relative to the frame (meaning it "moves" from the camera perspective).
    When this option is OFF, the object does not move with the frame, it stays on the same coordinates all the same (so you could say it moves with the camera). So it does not follow the frame because it stays on the same positions regardless of how the frame moves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it isn't clear... So better name is "follow the camera" or "stick to the frame". How an object can follow something that never moves?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it isn't clear... So better name is "follow the camera" or "stick to the frame". How an object can follow something that never moves?
    Just accept that the frame is the "canvas" where you put your stuff, and each point there has the X and Y coordinates. If the camera moves, the canvas "moves" naturally in the opposite direction and if you want your object to act as if it is in the frame (like a tree in a scenery), you want it to move along with the frame (so its X,Y does not change, although the relative position will).

But I would agree that a name such as "Frame-independent position" would be more clear.