User Tag List

Thread: Cross-platform advice - builds, different objects for different platforms, etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross-platform advice - builds, different objects for different platforms, etc.

I've got a very basic game I built for iOS years ago as a bit of fun. I'd like to port it to Android now.

I'm just wondering what best practice is for cross-platform projects.

For example, should I just have one MFA and change build type between iOS and Android for each export? Will it remember my iOS build settings, when I switch to Android, and then switch back to iOS?

I use Game Center, just to post score to leaderboard and display leaderboard. Is there a way I could also have Google Play Games objects in there, and conditions such as
    > When Leaderboard button pressed
    >> if on Android
    ---- connect to GPG, show leaderboard
    >> if on iOS
    ---- connect to Game Center, show leaderboard

Any other general advice on cross-platform games?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the mobile runtimes were first released I had similar questions. At first, I maintained separate MFA projects for each runtime. But this quickly became overwhelming because as I made changes or updates, I had to make them multiple times (Windows, HTML5, iOS and Android)!

So now I use a single MFA and make event groups for each runtime, and whenever I have a platform-specific event I stick it in there and create the same event for each runtime I'm supporting. Events that are the same on all platforms still stay in the standard event list. At the start of the frame I activate the event group for the runtime I'm on.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian_Wheel View Post
    When the mobile runtimes were first released I had similar questions. At first, I maintained separate MFA projects for each runtime. But this quickly became overwhelming because as I made changes or updates, I had to make them multiple times (Windows, HTML5, iOS and Android)!

So now I use a single MFA and make event groups for each runtime, and whenever I have a platform-specific event I stick it in there and create the same event for each runtime I'm supporting. Events that are the same on all platforms still stay in the standard event list. At the start of the frame I activate the event group for the runtime I'm on.
    is there something like "if on Android"/"if on iOS" condition? if not how did you go about doing that? as that would be great help since I am working on a game for both platforms!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaC View Post
    Will it remember my iOS build settings, when I switch to Android, and then switch back to iOS?
    I tried this out just then and seems to store build settings for each platform in that platform's tab. Tested it out by making a new app, changing a bunch of build settings across multiple platforms, saving, closing and reopening.

I was really surprised when it worked, for some reason I assume it wouldn't and thought I had tried this out before but maybe I was thinking of display properties and not platform properties.

Quote Originally Posted by tk22 View Post
    is there something like "if on Android"/"if on iOS" condition? if not how did you go about doing that? as that would be great help since I am working on a game for both platforms!
    There is a runtime object with these conditions:

One manageable way you could organise your code so that it is platform independent is by
    - make a fastloop for each that runs the code once
    - storing that loop inside a group that only activates for each platform

This way your game's logic for what activates an achievement/submits a high score is independent from the actions for each platform if that makes sense

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Runtime specific conditions are under: Special > Runtime > Is running as...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobichan View Post
    Runtime specific conditions are under: Special > Runtime > Is running as...
    oh my GOD how did I miss this

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much everyone for all your help here, much appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @mobichan and @marbenx that was really helpful!