User Tag List

Thread: Save games file locations

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save games file locations

Hi all - as my game comes along further, I'm thinking about how I'm using Ini++ in conjunction with the file object to successfully save files in a way that Windows 7-10 likes. Where do most games tend to save games - is it in c:\users\[username]\appdata? As for config files for game settings, I'd like to just save these in the local game directory - is this possible in Windows 10? When I've played about with it, I can't get any ini to write to the game's directory.

Any "best practice" advice on game save file locations would be appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the AppData directory is the right way to go. All other save game locations may cause trouble if the app is not run with admin rights on the machine.
    Before saving there you have to create a save game location using the File-object: AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) + "\mygame\". After that you can save your data there (for example an array or ini called "settings") using the File-object: AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) + "\mygame\" + "settings"

edit: Here's an example from my game with an array, I don't use INI at all but I think the basic process should be similar.

Unbenannt.PNG

You only need to create the directory for saving once, re-creating it will do no harm tho - if the directory already exists this operation will change nothing (all save data in this directory will stay untouched).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice and confirms that I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Using the AppData directory is the right way to go. All other save game locations may cause trouble if the app is not run with admin rights on the machine.
    Before saving there you have to create a save game location using the File-object: AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) + "\mygame\". After that you can save your data there (for example an array or ini called "settings") using the File-object: AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) + "\mygame\" + "settings"

edit: Here's an example from my game with an array, I don't use INI at all but I think the basic process should be similar.

Unbenannt.PNG

You only need to create the directory for saving once, re-creating it will do no harm tho - if the directory already exists this operation will change nothing (all save data in this directory will stay untouched).
    I'm using AppPath, havent had any admin issues yet but do you know if there's risk for that?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appdata is owned by the user and the owner has no restrictions by default. So you are safe to use that location. As it's already been said it's best practices to use appdata. You could use any user owned folder though such as documents or even the unused saved games folder.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zip2kx View Post
    I'm using AppPath, havent had any admin issues yet but do you know if there's risk for that?
    Most players run their machines with admin rights, but you'll get instant trouble (failing saves) if you run your game from a guest account. I realized this first when I made a restricted account on my machine for a convention.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what does AppData do? What if i need to read in a file from the folder the .exe is in?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I get your question right, as Danworth said, AppData just provides a save spot for all data that is modified while running the game. AppPath is the right location for all data that is never modified and/or needs to be included into the .exe. Like level layout arrays, for example

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Not sure if I get your question right, as Danworth said, AppData just provides a save spot for all data that is modified while running the game. AppPath is the right location for all data that is never modified and/or needs to be included into the .exe. Like level layout arrays, for example

Ok nice i think i got it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Progject View Post
    Hi all - as my game comes along further, I'm thinking about how I'm using Ini++ in conjunction with the file object to successfully save files in a way that Windows 7-10 likes. Where do most games tend to save games - is it in c:\users\[username]\appdata? As for config files for game settings, I'd like to just save these in the local game directory - is this possible in Windows 10? When I've played about with it, I can't get any ini to write to the game's directory.

Any "best practice" advice on game save file locations would be appreciated!
    I'd save your save game files in a folder called "Saves", located in the main folder with your .exe.
    I'd also highly recommend also using the Blowfish object to encrypt your saves too. It works with ini and is great!