User Tag List

Thread: Windows Permissions Issues With Read and Write

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Permissions Issues With Read and Write

Hi, I've been stuck on this now for a few days but here is the issue:

My program needs to read/write to some files (an ini file and some bitmaps).
    Those files are stored in C:/ProgramData/myGame
    The exe is stored C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/myGame

Everything works fine when I install the application the first time but as soon as I reboot my PC it seems that my program is no longer allowed to access those files . I can force them back manually each time by forcible setting their permissions on each file (right click) but obviously I cant expect my users to be doing that.

So how do I do it?

I tried using C:\>c:\windows\system32\icacls c:\ProgramData\myGame /grant everyoneOI)(CI)F from the command line just to test but this just says access denied

Now the whole reason I put these file in ProgramData in the first place was because i was of the understanding that they could be freely accessed there. (Unlike the Program Files Folder) however this doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, I cant set my app as 'run as admin' because i need it to start it the startup folder (which apparently cant be done with an admin rights exe.) and also I don't really want my user to have to use admin rights for it anyhow.

Its a problem I really dont need. I just want my app to be able to access all the files. I would have thought that would/should be default behavior.

I am using Install Creator Pro for the installer and there don't seem to be any permission settings in that.

?Stumped?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @grimmy : the only save spot for writing data is the appdata directory that is owned by the current user and has no limitations, even without admin rights. Look here: https://community.clickteam.com/threads/105256-Save-games-file-locations