User Tag List

Thread: Array size and other random issues

Clicker Firefly 3D Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Array size and other random issues

I'm making a randomly generated 3D world that is tile based. It's still very early in development but I want to use an Array to save the world that is generated. It's going to be a 3D array, where the 0Z axis will be just the tiles generated, then 1Z will be things like trees, rocks, etc. and 2Z will be your inventory, and so on for other elements in the game.

How big can an array get? Is there a maximum number of cells per array? Also, can Clickteam Fusion parse text (if I got that term right) where you can have a list of numbers or letters in one value and you can choose certain numbers from that one value? For example, I could have 1 whole Z axis on the array for trees, each x and y is the tree's location on the map, and then a simple binary switch to see if that cell has a tree in it, but what I want to do is have one cell handle all of that. aaabbbccc, where aaa is the ID of the item (like a rock, tree, bush, etc) bbb is it's X coordinate on the map, and ccc is the Y coordinate, and again all of that information is stored in 1 cell for 1 object.

Clicker Firefly 3D Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gettin' no replies, bumpin' mah thread, eatin' Taco Bell, life's grand yo.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprayerdude220 View Post
    I'm making a randomly generated 3D world that is tile based. It's still very early in development but I want to use an Array to save the world that is generated. It's going to be a 3D array, where the 0Z axis will be just the tiles generated, then 1Z will be things like trees, rocks, etc. and 2Z will be your inventory, and so on for other elements in the game.

How big can an array get? Is there a maximum number of cells per array? Also, can Clickteam Fusion parse text (if I got that term right) where you can have a list of numbers or letters in one value and you can choose certain numbers from that one value? For example, I could have 1 whole Z axis on the array for trees, each x and y is the tree's location on the map, and then a simple binary switch to see if that cell has a tree in it, but what I want to do is have one cell handle all of that. aaabbbccc, where aaa is the ID of the item (like a rock, tree, bush, etc) bbb is it's X coordinate on the map, and ccc is the Y coordinate, and again all of that information is stored in 1 cell for 1 object.
    I'm pretty sure arrays don't have a limit, which is what makes them much more powerful compared to INI's. 3D arrays will get pretty big pretty quickly though, which may or may not be an issue depending on your plans. It almost sounds like you could get away with a 2D array, rather than a 3D array, though. This'll not only save on file-size but also complexity.

There is indeed a string parser object which you can combine with or even just use some of the engine's basic String functionality (extract left/middle/right of substring, length of string, etc. under "Special Conditions" in the expression window) in order to find specific characters at certain points in a string. In this way you could essentially create seeds for every element in the game and create a pretty efficient object creation loop.