User Tag List

Thread: Best method of learning?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best method of learning?

I hope this is not off-topic here.

Just a query to ask "What is the best way to learn Fusion 2.5?"

I'm getting nowhere (but frustrated) just trying to make things out of the blue, I have tried searching around and the only book I can find on Amazon is rather old and for Fusion 2.
    Youtube is okay, but the amount of fusion tutorials is miniscule when compared to say game maker (not a complaint, just an observation)

So, how does one go from being an utterly useless noob to someone who can create even simple games?

I know you can download examples and look at the events but I really find that a hard/impossible way to learn)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know about ClickFusion Academy? Test drive now...
    It said, "Everything you will need to level up from Beginner to Advanced with Clickteam Fusion 2.5"...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone learns differently but for myself the easiest way is to dive right in and *make* things. Pulling apart examples or following watching a video is great if you already know what you're doing.

The Chocobreak tutorial is a good start, but from the example platformer level you posted in your other thread that might be a bit too simple - but it's probably not a bad idea to check it out anyway in case there's something you've missed.

The best advice I can give - You'll probably get the most though just by making a small game and then finishing it. Lots of people make incredible prototypes

Platformers are fun but dealing with gravity can be tricky start with something simple and *small*, like a Breakout or Pong game, then slowly add things to it like:
    - A way for the player to restart after a game over
    - increasing difficulty over time (e.g. the ball moves faster after a level, or some bricks require two hits)
    - A scoring system, including saving and loading of high scores
    - Powerups - two balls etc
    - Music and sound effects - there's plenty of royalty free (with attribution) online
    - A level select menu
    - An options screen where the user can change settings like the volume

With a bit of practice, making fun and challenging games in Fusion can be done quickly - but finishing a game is another skill entirely - and with all skills you'll only make progress with practice.

Once you've got some of the basics down on how to learn Fusion, I'd also recommend looking at how to make a game feel good - this video is a great introduction into "gamefeel", and these videos will go into more depth on the topic:
    - Juice it or lose it
    - The Art of Screenshake

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (seems to be no edit button? So I had to reply)

I read and I was told ctf is easy to learn well quite frankly I'm finding it really hard, heck it's no easier than trying to learn that ghastly gms 'gml' and that was a nightmare.
    I don't have unrealistic expectations. I don't expect to create say a space invaders game in 2 days but jeez, I'm having a royal hard time even trying to move a 32x32 sprite along a platform and up a ladder. just crazy hard.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned by trying to remake my favorite games using sprites from the internet so that way I focused more on the logic part! but also the forums is your best friend to find and ask for answers. Now-days we have discord, so join that too (you can add me Akiiyama#5546).

If you need any extra help you can pm me or ask around. Myself and everyone here would be more than happy to help.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. watch youtube video tutorials, for example, here extremely handsome SnailOn and Clickteam channels on youtube.
    2. repeat what they do, try to understand, change order of operations and expression to see changes, make comments.
    3. make repo of mfa files, group em in categories (easing, hp bar, sorting so on...) and try step 2.
    4. help to the community if you know the answer.
    5. don't be afraid to ask solutions, tips in forum and discord channel.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some ways I have learned from the Clickteam tools over the years...

Download some example mfa files of basic concept games. Pong, breakout, overhead shooter clones. "Mod" those and swap in assets, change things around and go from there. Can you make a compelling pong clone? What if you combine the shooter with Breakout elements?

You have be able to understand a basic spreadsheet. Battleship games are a good example to play some before trying to dive into the event editor. The simple basic games should only have a small amount of events and art assets to compare with.

Get some graph paper and try designing your own battleship variant on a smaller grid (10x10 or 16x16, etc). What items or weapons would you want certain ships to have? Would you assign certain items or traps on certain coordinates on the grid? Would firing a weapon onto a ship on a certain part of the grid be a mine instead? Once you think through how that game would play out, try playing it. This is similar to how the Event Editor present data to you, and how you can assign assets (sounds, graphics) to do things you program them to.

I have hundreds of example files I have opened up, tinker around some, learn how to do a few things and move on. Some examples wind up inspiring me to make a full demo/prototype or full game. Taking the time to look at these and experiment is key to understanding how they work.

You also need to have a grasp or overall picture of how games have improved over the decades. The genres haven't changed too much (Fortnite is essentially a 3d 3rd person perspective Gauntlet / Dandy Dungeon/Dark Chambers with some different win parameters, large playfield, and occasional vehicles.) but the basic concepts of player expectations are still there.

Unfortunately, many of today's gamers have to have their hands held and pointed in the right direction all the time in games instead of being able to explore, seek, learn, adapt, and write down clues on how to enjoy a game. You must cultivate and grow those skills to understand game design and development, and most creative talents. Teaching someone how to learn or want to constantly learn is a dying skillset, most do not want to have to do any work to get expected results.

Clickteam's products remove most barriers of learning complicated subjects of programming to get an app or game made. I was a kid when I went from Basic programming to Klin N Play. I have taught other children including my own, how to use the tools. It is not as overwhelming as most people think. Put in that 1 hour. Later, put in that 10 hours. Later still, hopefully you have put in 100 hours. Keep going from there 8)

Great Resources of Examples by Marv:
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Other good resources:
    https://ultimatewalrus.com/barebones...fusionexamples
    https://www.andersriggelsen.dk/mmf2_examples.php
    http://www.neilbutcher.ultimateworld...amples_01.html
    https://dark-wire.com/storage/extlist.php

There is no right or wrong way to create. Everyone does it differently and have various perspectives on what is important to them. It is the application thereof or implementation thereof, that can be difficult. LEarn from the community, what new ways people have solved problems. There are decades od proven methods to get many things done well and/or "good enough".