User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Event reuse with global event workflow?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually if possible I'd like feedback from people who have used groups in global events and behaviors before. Did you notice any issue when using them?

Especially conflicts with groups in the frame events, as I'm not sure if the bug I'm talking about above is a bug or a "feature" (but it certainly looks like a bug). EDIT: it seems there is no bug, I can't reproduce it and the code seems correct.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Actually if possible I'd like feedback from people who have used groups in global events and behaviors before. Did you notice any issue when using them?

Especially conflicts with groups in the frame events, as I'm not sure if the bug I'm talking about above is a bug or a "feature" (but it certainly looks like a bug).
    I rarely use the Global Event Editor but I use Event Behaviours on objects set as global all the time. I've never noticed any problems between event behaviours. I rarely will have events (or groups) in the frame event editor and as said not in the global event editor. I will try testing that - but can confirm I have yet to experience problems between many event behaviours in a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    And there is also the old issue of groups IDs in Activate / Deactivate actions that are incorrect when you paste them in another event editor. This one was also in the TODO list for the build 292 but is not fixed yet.

I think I may have experienced this bug. I had two event editor windows open and was copying / pasting. I tried to use the Deactivate a Group action and Fusion crashed. I have not been able to replicate it since but I did not try copying/pasting between editors since.

Quote Originally Posted by elvisish
    So, how's everyone else using global events now we have qualifiers? I reuse the same events through many, many frames, and have to copy/paste every group if I change one thing at present.

Have you ever tried using event behaviours? The way I minimise the issue you describe above is to create all my objects (actives, backgrounds etc) to be global objects and then add behaviour events to them.

This way, when I make a change to the graphics or the event code of the global objects, all of frames that use the objects are automatically updated.

There are limitations, some of which have been removed by the DLC+ update:

• The objects referenced in any way must exist in each frame at least one time. So when you introduce a new object you must copy it to each frame if you wish to use it there.
    • When creating objects in event behaviours, they also must exist in the frame. One day Yves and the guys may take pity on me and find a way to give me the Create Object from another frame action that is available in Frame Events (hint)
    • Folders and Qualifiers were not available in regular fusion but are in the DLC version

If you decided to try the event behaviour method, think carefully about where you create the behaviours - often there are very logical places to put them, small pieces of event code that relate to that one object are perfect. If you are getting into complex events that cover many objects, I either use the player object or just make a 'controller' active object with the event behaviour - this also has the benefit of having a central resource for your alterable values and strings.
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
    I rarely use the Global Event Editor but I use Event Behaviours on objects set as global all the time. I've never noticed any problems between event behaviours. I rarely will have events (or groups) in the frame event editor and as said not in the global event editor. I will try testing that - but can confirm I have yet to experience problems between many event behaviours in a frame.

I think I may have experienced this bug. I had two event editor windows open and was copying / pasting. I tried to use the Deactivate a Group action and Fusion crashed. I have not been able to replicate it since but I did not try copying/pasting between editors since.

Have you ever tried using event behaviours? The way I minimise the issue you describe above is to create all my objects (actives, backgrounds etc) to be global objects and then add behaviour events to them.

This way, when I make a change to the graphics or the event code of the global objects, all of frames that use the objects are automatically updated.

There are limitations, some of which have been removed by the DLC+ update:

• The objects referenced in any way must exist in each frame at least one time. So when you introduce a new object you must copy it to each frame if you wish to use it there.
    • When creating objects in event behaviours, they also must exist in the frame. One day Yves and the guys may take pity on me and find a way to give me the Create Object from another frame action that is available in Frame Events (hint)
    • Folders and Qualifiers were not available in regular fusion but are in the DLC version

If you decided to try the event behaviour method, think carefully about where you create the behaviours - often there are very logical places to put them, small pieces of event code that relate to that one object are perfect. If you are getting into complex events that cover many objects, I either use the player object or just make a 'controller' active object with the event behaviour - this also has the benefit of having a central resource for your alterable values and strings.
    That's a good idea actually, reminds me a little bit of how Unity organises things with scripts on objects rather than a main code loop. I'm still trying to think of how to get certain things in sequence/order with any method other than a) copy/paste to every frame or b) all events/groups in globals, with no events in frames at all. I guess if there was something in Fusion equivalent to LateUpdate, we'd have no trouble with ordering .

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yves while you're working on groups, is there any chance you could change the behaviour of "activate/deactivate group xxxx" actions when their target group is deleted?

Currently, if you delete (or just try to cut and paste) a group, any "activate/deactivate group" actions that point to it simply disappear irretrievably. This can be dangerous, and can create bugs that are hard to fix because you need to remember exactly which groups those actions point to, and even which events those actions were in. I've been caught out many times, and it was the root of the problem for at least two people who bought a clickstore product of mine and reported that it wasn't working.

Perhaps when you delete a group, those actions can be replaced with dummy actions like "activate group blablabla <group is missing>". Or it could produce a warning similar to when you delete a used object in the frame editor.

I haven't seen anything odd with groups and global events, but I'll keep my eye out

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    In theory groups in the global events are separated from groups in the frame events. When you activate / deactivate a group in an editor, it's only for groups that are displayed in the events that you are editing. Though it seems bugged, the code doesn't seem correct. I've just made a simple example that should deactivate a group in the global events and instead it deactivates a group with the same ID in the frame events. O_o I'll investigate, this will be fixed in the next update if possible.

And there is also the old issue of groups IDs in Activate / Deactivate actions that are incorrect when you paste them in another event editor. This one was also in the TODO list for the build 292 but is not fixed yet.
    Sorry, I meant activate/deactivate groups in runtime, I assume they're considered different groups even if the frame and global groups share the same name?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish
    Sorry, I meant activate/deactivate groups in runtime, I assume they're considered different groups even if the frame and global groups share the same name?
    Correct, the name is ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2