User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New User/Evaluator of Fusion 2.5 Free

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ah right. As I explained earlier, in order to run HTML5 projects, browsers require that you run from a server (local files are almost always blocked). For this Fusion sets up its own internal web server and then serves the web page with your files in it. I don't know whether it checks for the latest files for this process when doing so, but the connection you saw is related to this and nothing untoward.

The issue with your jumpy animation relates to the hotspot (what you termed the pivot point). Unless the hotspot is set to relatively the same perceptual spot on your image, it will appear this way. If you crop all images and this results in different shapes, simply centering the hotspot (which is the offset the image is drawn at) did not guarantee that it will be in the correct place.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute, I don't get your response. Maybe I am foolish in this.

About the animation matter:
    We've established that setting the pivot points to the centre, whether I import them with the cropping option or not, plays back the animation properly (the rotation), EXCEPT that it does NOT move vertically (position). Shapes are correct, from the looks of it.

Perhaps this is better: what if someone else more experienced than I in matters of animation and Fusion simply uses Spriter to animate a simple rotating ball that, during the animation, goes up once and then down (as if bouncing)? Or someone could simply list here in words how he would essentially do it using Spriter and Fusion. (I don't know if anyone is available for this. I would appreciate it very much.) If this person is successful, I would look at those steps, and this would show me what I did wrong in my process.

I really like Fusion, and I was getting very much used to it quickly, which was motivating me to go all the way and just buy it already, as the program was growing more and more on me, but this setback demotivated me. I don't have much inclination to fight with it or seek out workarounds, though perhaps I must, though it may very well be something in the process I did.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The hotspot (it's not called a pivot point) needs to be in the centre of your image, not the image canvas. For example, you could have a 100x100 image with a red 50x50 square in the top left of the canvas. If you set the hotspot to the centre of the frame (50,50) then when the object displaying that image is at 0,0 - you wouldn't see anything other than one red pixel. This is because the hotspot at 50,50 would make Fusion position the bottom right corner of the image (the hotspot) at the screen coordinate 0,0. This would mean that the majority of the red square was offscreen at the top left corner.

In the same canvas, you could set the hotspot to 25,25 and the square would then be centred around the coordinate on the screen (in this case, at 0,0 you would see half of the red square). If you placed the hotspot at 0,0 and displayed the object at 0,0 you would see the whole square.

All of this is with a canvas twice as wide/high as the square image. So you can see that it is important with the hotspot to think about it as the point/offset in an image which Fusion will place the image on the screen at any given coordinate.

As such, the centre point is about perceptual centre in an image, not solely the centre of the canvas (although often these end up being the same thing). Ideally with a bouncing ball you wouldn't do it with animation, rather a movement or some code (we have basic and real-time physics engines for bouncing objects). That said, if you wanted to make a circle move up and down as though bouncing, the hotspot offers an interesting way to achieve this:

Make 4 frames, each 24x24 pixels, containing a the same basic circle image filling the 24x24 canvas, with the hotspot set to centre, bottom (12,24)

On frame 2, set the hotspot to 12, 28 (4 pixels out of the bottom of the frame)
    On frame 3, set it to 12,32 (8 pixels out of the bottom)
    Set frame 4 to the same as frame 2 (12,28)
    Set the animation to loop back to the first frame.

By manipulating the hotspot in eccentric manner, we can make the ball animate in a very basic bounce. The other way would be to have an animation with all frames sized 24x32 and the hotspot set to centre bottom for all. You could then physically move pixels in the frame to achieve the same bounce animation, by moving them up or down in 4 pixel increments.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @SeparateLawyer did my explanation make sense to you?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon,

Sorry for the late response. I was quite busy and had no opportunity to respond.

Thanks for your response.

Your response was not totally clear to me at first. It is as though you used words (very) loosely or as though there was some ambiguity or verbosity, but I may be wrong (or too fatigued). I also expected more of a sort of essential rundown without much detail taking the workflow concerning Spriter and Fusion into account.

But I see what you mean. What it comes down to is that you would move the hot spot, which is equal to what one might call its main coordinates and so recognized by Fusion, in all images/frames of the animation so as to move the object's position vertically.

And I also thought about just making the ball and having it rotate in Spriter, after which I would change its Y position somehow in Fusion, pretty much as one would make a character animation and have it move around, so to speak in principle.

I haven't come to it yet due to other matters I attended to. Additionally, this little test project with the ball in question was actually not supposed to be done, but I thought to do it anyway so as to get more feel for Fusion. I would probably leave this project for now and do another test and practice project I originally planned to do.

Thanks for all your efforts, Simon.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "And I also thought about just making the ball and having it rotate in Spriter, after which I would change its Y position somehow in Fusion, pretty much as one would make a character animation and have it move around, so to speak in principle."

Quick example I knocked up in 10 minutes to show you how easy it is to program a bouncing ball, although i didn't animate the rotations in Spriter, this would be very easy to do.

Click the mouse to create a ball . . .
    Attached files Attached files

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme2408 View Post
    "And I also thought about just making the ball and having it rotate in Spriter, after which I would change its Y position somehow in Fusion, pretty much as one would make a character animation and have it move around, so to speak in principle."

Quick example I knocked up in 10 minutes to show you how easy it is to program a bouncing ball, although i didn't animate the rotations in Spriter, this would be very easy to do.

Click the mouse to create a ball . . .
    Thanks, Graeme. I hope to have a look at closely if the opportunity arises.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeparateLawyer View Post
    ...It is as though you used words (very) loosely or as though there was some ambiguity or verbosity...
    I was quite specific o_O

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Simon. Well, you did ask me and you expected honesty (I hope), and I made some other relevant points in the same post, heh heh. That cut-out citation therefore does not seem fair.

Forget about it.

Now that I am back after much business, and back at evaluating Fusion, and finally back at my original test project (a simple shooting platformer), here is my new question: is it possible to create a side platformer with the free version, or must I simply get a full version? I see that the free version lacks a certain platformer plugin or some such thing to ease the process, but I suppose one may circumvent it, or I am perhaps already forced to commit.

Additionally, I will admit that Fusion, or what I have noticed of it, is very likeable and gave me quick powerful results so far, and I have seen certain greater results from others using it, so I suppose that perhaps I should simply commit, but I have read reports where people did mention a possible disadvantage, namely the possible lack of clarity of a project if it gets or is large. I would think that the DLC, as far as I saw, alleviates this to some extent, but to what extent?

I also read or heard that Fusion has many so-called gotchas. Is this true? (I don't like gotchas.) I think I came across one when I was investigating and thinking about how to use sprite sheets in Fusion. In fact, I think I recall a video where one of the Clickteam employees said that Fusion 3 will be what Fusion already should have been (or something along those lines; I forgot the exact words), where it seemed implied that there would be no gotchas. I also noticed that you cannot really easily and immediately set the time for animation frames as well, but that you must instead copy a frame many times, or am I missing something?

Please, if possible, and I mean well, convince me properly, and if you can with the clarity of a philosopher, why I should commit right now or why I should at least keep getting used to the free version for practice after which I will buy Fusion 3. (I still have some time before I finally start to build my large project. I think I can wait for Fusion 3, if it's not too long.) And convince me why I should not right now go for another well respected engine.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @SeparateLawyer I wasn't taking offence, I was simply confused because I gave a very specific walk through the theory of it all, using exact and correct terms and terminology. When you talked about ambiguity and loose words, I was rather confused as I'd literally gone to the specifics with actual coordinates and everything - far from loose or ambiguous and any verbosity was to make sure I didn't gloss over anything!

Yes Fusion Free is perfectly capable of creating a platformer without the Platform Movement Object. Fusion has built in movements, or you can use your own code to create movement or a combination of both (personally I recommend developing your own because it will then be able to do exactly what you want, rather than making your game fit to how the movement types work.

The so-called "gotchas" as you put it are a misnomer. If you consider Fusion to have them then all programming languages have them. Fusion does things in a certain way, as does every language/development environment. Whilst there are some issues which make certain tasks a little harder than they could be (hence we're creating Fusion 3 to eliminate/improve these areas) it's just a matter of learning how Fusion works and creating your game accordingly, nothing more. Fusion 3 is most certainly not "what Fusion already should have been" otherwise we'd have just made Fusion 2.5 be that (trust me it would be a lot easier than making a brand new product from scratch!) Fusion 2.5 is a very mature product which has enjoyed over a decade of development and enhancements from the original version. With any development you start with a structure and design which you hope will see you through whatever changes you need to make in the future. Fusion has been extremely flexible in a lot of ways however some aspects of the design make certain improvements very difficult to implement - when it becomes more work to make these changes than to create a brand new product which is designed to allow them easily, this is obviously the course you take, this is very normal with software development. Another reason we're making Fusion 3 is that new technologies which simply didn't exist when we first launched Multimedia Fusion now exist which add power, flexibility and the ability to develop much more rapidly. Fusion 2.5 obviously wasn't designed to leverage these technologies so integrating them now is less efficient than creating a new product. The one thing we certainly don't do here is release products simply to make a buck - every new iteration brings significant improvement, features and development.

Fusion 2.5 does not provide a facility for per-frame animation speed settings, no. You can paste multiple copies of frames to achieve this, Fusion knows they are the same graphic and so doesn't store the data twice.

I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you to buy the software if you're saying you want to be convinced - I don't believe in pushing products on people for the sake of a sale. The best thing you can do is to use the Free version and see whether it meets your needs and if you find yourself needing the more that Fusion 2.5 Standard offers, you can take the decision to buy it or not We'll be here to answer any questions you have along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2