User Tag List

Thread: Animation editor won't open png, says file invalid.

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animation editor won't open png, says file invalid.

Exactly as title says. I just bought some resources, and MMF 2.5's active editor won't open the png files.

I will attach a single file of the frames I am trying to import, note that this cannot be used by anyone who doesn't own them as it's a paid product.

Opening the png using the active object animation editor just spits out an error. The png seems to display fine in everywhere else I tried it.

I'm eventually trying to open a whole bunch of animations in this format(it's from a character pack), so hopefully any workaround is sane?

Using the latest MMF2.5 steam version, pro license.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just opened up the file in Photoshop and switched it from Indexed Color mode to RGB color mode (Image>Mode>RGB Color) and resaved it. Once I did that, Fusion could load it successfully. I have no idea why this is, or what was wrong with the file before (if anything was 'wrong' at all), but anyhow it worked. It does increase the filesize quite drastically though, from 295 bytes to over 1kb. However you could counteract that by cropping the files while you're at it. The one you uploaded has loads of empty space, and is 72x72px, which would actually be treated by Fusion as 128x128, resulting in higher RAM usage in your game. If possible, crop them to 64x64 or 32x32

Do you have Photoshop? You could easily set up a batch job to do this conversion on multiple files at once. I'm sure you could do a similar process using other programs. Failing that, if it's not an absolutely preposterous number of animations, you can send them to me via PM and I can do them for you (you have my word that I'll delete them off my PC once I'm done)

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    I just opened up the file in Photoshop and switched it from Indexed Color mode to RGB color mode (Image>Mode>RGB Color) and resaved it. Once I did that, Fusion could load it successfully. I have no idea why this is, or what was wrong with the file before (if anything was 'wrong' at all), but anyhow it worked.

Do you have Photoshop? You could easily set up a batch job to do this conversion on multiple files at once.
    Thanks for that, it seems removing that indexing did the trick. The whole character comes in clean now. I'm cropping as I go as well, to keep frames smaller in size once in MMF.

The amount of sprites is in the realm of "preposterous" (It's an entire tileset and kit with characters each with about 8-30 frames of animations), but thank you for the offer.

I have a photoshop equivilent called Affinity Photo, it has a batch process so this won't be too painful. Still a bit curious why the original file doesn't work right. I'll leave the frame up here in case CT wants to have a look at it. Maybe they can convert to the RGB mode automatically if there is a way to detect this issue.

I also have gif files in this same package that MMF chokes on, it imports the right amount of frames, but each new frame has a ghost of the older frames inside it after import. It might be a similar issue. I lack software to test the gif version of the animations to make sure they are setup right, though dragging them into a web browser displays the animation properly.

Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the indexing per se is the problem. After my post, I also tried opening your file, converting it to RGB, then converting it back to Indexed, and the resulting file successfully opened in Fusion no problem. But it was still much larger in filesize than your original. My guess is that the filesize has something to do with it; perhaps they were saved in some super-compact format that omits some piece of metadata that Fusion needs?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some quick testing: it seems, for some obscure reason, that import of indexed PNG files with few colours may fail under circumstances. The same files have no issues in other game engines I tested these with (Godot, Construct, GDevelop).

This file will fail:
    egg_fail.png

This file will import properly:
    egg_success.png

The difference? One colour. Egg 1 is 5 colours, egg two is 4 colours.

I am unsure why this is happening. I've tried several files, larger ones, with transparency, without, etcetera. Use the excellent Color Quantizer image optimizer to reduce an image to only a few colours, and some will fail, while others load fine.

http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html