Thread: Sonic 1 Special stage

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2XNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonic 1 Special stage

Good afternoon all!

Hope this is the right place to post this. I have been trying to emulate Sonic 1's rotating special stage for a while now. I, for the life of me, cannot do it. I've gotten to the point where it sort of works, but the blocks start to "fall apart" due to, what I am assuming, the decimal points not being far enough out. I will upload my attempt later this afternoon if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Here is what I am trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuglWOHxNQs

Any help or suggestions would be great! Or, if its even possible

EDIT: I might note that the difficulty comes around the fact that the stage rotates around the Sonic object itself. It isn't just rotating in a circle at one certain point. That's where the trouble for me is coming.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It almost looks like you answered your own question.

It isn't just rotating in a circle at one certain point.
    So, what you'd have to do is constantly set that point to your character. Set initial points for everything and have an offset for when you move around.

Be sure to share your progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive attached my testing. Please ignore the really messing events, as its just a lot of "lets see what works quick"

Pressing and holding S will show you the mess.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest checking out the Satellites Example here: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmfexamples-s.htm

That at least covers the idea of objects moving around a central point without using an extension. Start from there and see if you can cook something up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raxabit View Post
    I suggest checking out the Satellites Example here: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmfexamples-s.htm

That at least covers the idea of objects moving around a central point without using an extension. Start from there and see if you can cook something up.
    I appreciate the feedback, but I already have the basic concept of rotating something around a central object (If you see the third or fourth frame in my example posted). The difficulty lies around recalculating the distance needed to rotate between Sonic and the stage itself. I'm still not convinced its possible in Fusion.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to try would be to create the stage as 1 image and import as an active object. Set the collision to the object and make it's hotspot centered. Set an alterable value that goes between 2 numbers based on when/if you hit the "R" object.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmachine View Post
    One thing to try would be to create the stage as 1 image and import as an active object. Set the collision to the object and make it's hotspot centered. Set an alterable value that goes between 2 numbers based on when/if you hit the "R" object.
    What most don't notice is the stage doesn't just "rotate in circle". It rotates around the sonic object itself. Watch very closely. The focal point is sonic, and everything rotates around him. Its not as simple as rotating it around the middle of the stage. Its rather difficult to program. Naka was a genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post -- please remove

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezmania View Post
    I appreciate the feedback, but I already have the basic concept of rotating something around a central object (If you see the third or fourth frame in my example posted). The difficulty lies around recalculating the distance needed to rotate between Sonic and the stage itself. I'm still not convinced its possible in Fusion.
    I think it is possible, but perhaps difficult. Instead of moving Sonic through everything, I'm going to try moving everything around Sonic. Hopefully there will be results between tonight and tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmachine View Post
    An active image allows for hot spot changes, but would leave you dead in the water for interaction. Each wall block has to be interactive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raxabit View Post
    I think it is possible, but perhaps difficult. Instead of moving Sonic through everything, I'm going to try moving everything around Sonic. Hopefully there will be results between tonight and tomorrow.

An active image allows for hot spot changes, but would leave you dead in the water for interaction. Each wall block has to be interactive.
    I had very little luck with having the objects move around sonic, BUT I think its key. I'm hoping you have better luck than I did. It seems to be quite the challenge

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast