User Tag List

Thread: Best format for video and extension?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best format for video and extension?

I've never used video in a Fusion app before and I'm not sure what's considered the best codec to use for maximum compatability, nor do I know which extension is the best for the job. I tried a standard AVC export but Fusion can't play it with Active Direct Show (even though Windows Media Player can) and I really don't want to require codex packs for a video to show. What's the standard these days for Fusion games?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    MP4 + AAC is pretty much the standard everywhere (most supported).
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    MP4 + AAC is pretty much the standard everywhere (most supported).
    I tried that, but had trouble get anything to actually play. Wmv was the only one that seemed to work for me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish View Post
    I tried that, but had trouble get anything to actually play. Wmv was the only one that seemed to work for me.
    I'm in the process to add an intro cinematic made by my brother into the game and having troubles too. So what is the standard to play video in Fusion that will work for everybody, regardless of what codecs are installed on the machine?
    Direct Show did not work for me at all. And the manager says MPEG player should not be used, so I tried .avi player but it's playing the video super fast and there's no sound. I was able to get the right speed by forcing the video frame to a custom timer and patching the sound file on that, but there has to be a better solution, right?
    Also, my machine did not play the video at first cuz Xvid codec was missing. How can I pack this into my .mfa to make sure the user has it installed when running the game?

Another thing I tried is to make a 20 FPS GIF instead of the video file, but that, of course, consumed 600mb of RAM for 30 seconds,... not that good

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, Direct Show with .wmv file, or Active Direct Show with .wmv file (max 720p for Active Direct Show otherwise it can be jerky on slow machines), using codecs that are preinstalled with all versions of Windows.

For info Dark Devotion uses an Active Direct Show object with .wmv files, works fine apparently. I've asked them how they encoded the file. More info later.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for the help so far!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried active direct show with .avi, seems to work fine! Somehow only direct show showed up under the videos tag of my installed extension, did not know there are too different versions ^^

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Active Direct Show displays the video in a sprite, you can display other objects above it (the Direct Show object displays videos in a window).

Apparently Dark Devotion encoded the WMV file (in WMAB) with a video converter found on https://www.anymp4.com/.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Active Direct Show displays the video in a sprite, you can display other objects above it (the Direct Show object displays videos in a window).

Apparently Dark Devotion encoded the WMV file (in WMAB) with a video converter found on https://www.anymp4.com/.
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I used Premiere's built-in and worked nicely (I imagine Media Encoder would too).