User Tag List

Thread: MP3 tag reading/writing extension required

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MP3 tag reading/writing extension required

I know there were some old posts about the ID3 object - but search doesn't seem to find them for me now - I'm guessing it's obsolete now anyway . However, just wondering if there are any objects out there that can do the same job. An object like this would be essential for creating a decent music player/jukebox app.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @JohnZ ,
    ID3 Object is alive and kicking on Darkwire ext list page, but only reads MP3 tags. For writing tags, I would recommend using ffmpeg commandline. It's possible to hide the commandline while you do it.

For example, to erase all existing metadata tags and add artist, title, etc:

Code:
    "C:\pathtoffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i "C:\myfunmp3\inputsong.mp3" -c:a copy -metadata artist="The Artist" -metadata title="The Title" "C:\myfunmp3\outputsong.mp3"
    -i "x" = input path of "x"
    -c:a copy = for audio codec, just copy, don't re-encode the audio
    -metadata artist="X" = goes without saying

You can download ffmpeg static builds (the EXEs) from this site. You want the right OS, and Static type of download.

You can also read tags with it:
    Code:
    "C:\pathtoffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -hide_banner -i "C:\myfunmp3\inputsong.mp3"
    -hide_banner = no version information/copyright
    With no output, all the data about that format will be written to the console - bitrate, tags. Some extensions, like Console Object or Pipe Object, can read the output from console programs.
    Then using String Parser/String Tokeniser, you can split it into readable chunks.

If any of this doesn't seem to work for you, or you need more help, you can contact me on Clickteam Discord.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply - that's really helpful. Can this be distributed with commercial or freeware projects?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Thanks for your reply - that's really helpful. Can this be distributed with commercial or freeware projects?
    Yes.
    According to the FFmpeg EXE page I linked above, it's GPL 3.0 license. Which according to TL;DRLegal, is okay for commercial software. You might want to view the link though to understand legal obligations.

If you modified/compiled FFmpeg itself, instead of keeping it as a separate EXE, you would have more limitations, including you'd have to make your software GPL as well - which means you'd have to make source code accessible - but that doesn't apply for separate EXE scenario.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    Yes.
    According to the FFmpeg EXE page I linked above, it's GPL 3.0 license. Which according to TLRLegal, is okay for commercial software. You might want to view the link though to understand legal obligations.

If you modified/compiled FFmpeg itself, instead of keeping it as a separate EXE, you would have more limitations, including you'd have to make your software GPL as well - which means you'd have to make source code accessible - but that doesn't apply for separate EXE scenario.
    Thanks for that info! :-)