User Tag List

Thread: PMO and Physic Jump Through...Is it doable?

Clicker iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question PMO and Physic Jump Through...Is it doable?

Hi guys... hope your all well.

Now then... heres the question.

I am using the physic engine to make a platformer (I like using it for that... love the Physics in F2.5).

Now I decided to use the PMO for the jump through bits instead of coding something myself, and I ran in to a problem.

You see, no matter what I do I cannot get PMO to do a jump through.

The attatched file will show you what I mean. PMO Prob.mfa

I simply used this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LirUwExTI9E To base what to do with PMO for a jumpthrough. So it should work just fine.

But as you will see, the backdrop works fine(tho you cant move through it.. but you can jump on to it)...but the active green object while you can run through it...you cant jump on it.

So then.... Any idea why PMO is not working?? Is it because I am using Physics too? I dont know because by what I have read you can use PMO and Physics together.

Anyone help??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then... sorry for bumping this but still need an answer to the problem. Anyone have an idea as to why its not working?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that the PMO is just overwritten by the physics engine in your case. Physical objects in Fusion are treated as a parallel universe next to non-physical events, such as PMO handling. Your player object is set to physical platforming so ultimately the physics engine overrides the PMO. If you want the physics engine to understand what the PMO considers a platform you’ll probably need to use a custom setup in the physical world. I patched a custom non-physical platforming engine for my player with a physical vertical socket for jumps, retrospectively this was kind of a hassle in many ways. One of the worst quirks is the physics engine not respecting layers at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.. your prob right Julian. I thought that PMO and Phys would work together ok, as I know some ppl have used the rope swing and PMO together (posted on this forum).

Still... after your post I went back and removed PMO and changed a few simple variables so that now I have true Jump Through with the Physics engine.... It was not too diff from using PMO actually! LOL

So then.. Back to work.

Cheers.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it sorted^^

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dex. Would you share your solution in the mfa you shared?

Thanks,
    Marv
    ​455 MMF2 & CTF 2.5 Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Nivram.... Well I will do one better than that m8.... Im gonna do a simple video of it and post it on this thread.
    (And yes I will post the mfa too).

I will post it later today for you..... hope it helps someone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Ok guys....

I tried to do a video, and I did succeed....but after editing it (and adding my voice!) it was not the best of things to post LOL.

So what I have done is to post a small vid that you can see the Jump Through, and now I am gonna explain how it works.

So then...............Lets begin.

PMO and Physics does not work when you use them together for a Jump Through, See Julian's Posting above for the possible reason as to why they don't.

So I removed PMO from my game and instead modified the events that PMO used to test for a Jump Through platform.

Here you can see the layout for PMO..........

PMO.png

First it calls itself and checks for a jump through overlap.

Next it checks if the player is overlapping the jump though
    It also checks to see if the Y Position of the Jump Through is Greater than ">" the Bottom of the player.

If its a yes then PMO sees that the player is overlapping a jump through object.

Now after I removed the PMO object I had to do a bit of trial and error to find out the best settings for a jump through while using Physics.... here is what I came up with..........

jt.png

You can see the differences in the PMO (right side) and the Physics events (Left side).

They are very similar with only slight differences.

The main differences is:

1. The PMO looks for an OVERLAPPING. But if you use that in the events on the Physics side, the overlap will NOT register and you cannot use it as a platform.

Instead you need to change it to a COLLISION, then it works perfectly as a platform.

2. The other thing you have to do is to change:
    Y Position of Jump Through > Y Bottom Player

To:
    Y Position of Jump Through > YActionPoint Player

You also have to remember to set the action points on your player character to the bottom (Near the feet).

But apart from that you have a perfectly good jump through without PMO as you can see here....

Hope that this helps someone.