User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to use non-standard characters in AltVal names?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, this is a bit annoying. The Advanced Comment Object, which I've come to quite like, comes with a performance cost. Here's a test I did:

(these are the two events that were compared: both set an AltVal, but one has comments in it and the other doesn't:

The difference is very small and I guess it would probably have negligible real world performance, but it still makes me a little nervous to use it too extensively. Shouldn't an object like this have its actions and conditions completely stripped by the compiler? Why are they even making it into the runtime at all?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Volnaiskra do you still get the same performance drop with the object present but "Create at start" unticked? If that doesn't remove the performance drop, don't forget that you can safely just delete the object before building and Fusion will remove it without harming any of the rest of your code.

Ideally yes it should be stripped out of the code - perhaps we need a "Don't Include at Build Time" option like we have for frames.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    @Volnaiskra do you still get the same performance drop with the object present but "Create at start" unticked?
    Surprisingly, yes. I had "create at start" unticked during the above tests.

That's a good point that this needn't have any impact on the final EXE as we can delete the object. So I guess there's no need for stressing about its performance impact, which is great. Though I imagine that might be a somewhat annoying process, requiring in effect two different versions of the MFA - one with comments for working on, and one without for builds. We'd have to remember to save twice to the appropriate MFAs every time we built. A "Don't Include at Build Time" option would certainly be nice. Though unless there's some use case where unchecking that option would be desirable, I imagine an actual checkbox might be unecessary.

I can imagine a "Don't Include at Build Time" checkbox might be useful for some other extensions though, such as ones that are used only for internal debugging, or ones that are only required for certain builds (eg. Steamworks object)

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ideally yes it should be stripped out of the code - perhaps we need a "Don't Include at Build Time" option like we have for frames.
    "Don't Include at Build Time" really will be very useful!
    Imagine now you are designing your game's UI and all your levels are generated in runtime, you need a reference picture to make sure objects are created at the right place. Reference images's size are often large but we don't need them in runtime, you can't just simply remove them cause you don't know when will you need them again.
    In this case, "Don't Include at Build Time" will come and save the day.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OK. I will tag this to @Yves - I think a built in comment object would be incredibly useful and it would obviously be possible to make Fusion strip those out. I can't make any promises, it depends whether this is something Yves has time to work on or not of course Also the "Don't include at build time" could be have some interesting use cases if it's not too complex for Yves to add.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FusionPictureComment.png @Volnaiskra
    Using Wingdings in separate comments looks good might help to break up large sections of code

Clicker

Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the point of a "built in comment object?"

Is this just so you can insert comments between individual conditions in a line of code? Seems kind of pointless unless you're running lines of code with like 50+ conditions and even then doesn't really seem to have much useful application?

How does this work any better than the regular comment function?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GamesterX23 View Post
    running lines of code with like 50+ conditions
    This is Vol we're talking about here, I imagine 50 conditions would be quite average!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkycoldmadeanr View Post
    FusionPictureComment.png @Volnaiskra
    Using Wingdings in separate comments looks good might help to break up large sections of code
    Great idea! I won't be able to use wingdings in group names, which is where I find using symbols is the most helpful, but I'm sure I'll get some value out of these elsewhere. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GamesterX23 View Post

Is this just so you can insert comments between individual conditions in a line of code? Seems kind of pointless unless you're running lines of code with like 50+ conditions and even then doesn't really seem to have much useful application?

How does this work any better than the regular comment function?
    Well, I usually use them on actions, which can get much more numerous than conditions usually do. Here's one of the actions where comments have helped me the most. It's got 80+ actions in it, many with equations that aren't self-explanatory, and for various reasons it was preferable that they all remain in one single event. Without being able to internally divide and notate these actions, I don't know if I would have been mentally capable of successfully completing this section of code - at least not without being sapped of my will to live.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, while looking through Windings, I noticed something called Segoe MDL2 Assets. These use something called Private Use Area of Unicode, which lets them display alongside regular characters (rather than instead of them, as Windings does). Which means you can put them in groups and inside regular comments.

I don't know exactly how it works - not all of the characters that I can see in the windows character map actually show up in Fusion. And those that do are displayed differently, as if Tahoma itself had some sort of [limited] support for these Segoe assets. But some of the ones that work will be supremely useful to me:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast