User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All tiles as actives - no backdrops. Is this a cool and good practice nowadays?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All tiles as actives - no backdrops. Is this a cool and good practice nowadays?

Hey all. I'm an old school Clickteam product user. Back in the old days, it was standard practice to just have all your tiles as backdrops.

Now, I'm seeing conflicting views on this. If I can use active objects as tiles under one qualifier, this would allow me to have a good minimap generated for my levels, amongst other benefits.

So what is the score on this nowadays? The way I see it, it is still drawing the same graphic and drawing is what loads the processor (or gpu). Any views or experience? Remember, this would mean potentially hundreds upon hundreds of tiles as Actives.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No takes on this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too up-to-date on current practices, but I personally wouldn't - I believe Fusion still has to process the logic for all of those Actives.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think it is a good practice to use actives as backdrops, at least while making the levels. Just make good use of the Add to backdrop action in the event editor, and destroy the actual active objects that doesn't need to be actives at runtime. In this way you can make your minimap, and at the same time use backdrops. The best practice is always to keep your game as optimized as possible. Of course, if you're making a PC game only, you don't need to be too careful about that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies - I thought the biggest strain on the runtime was more about the graphics draw - https://clickfusion.academy/1000-bac...active-object/

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't look into the finer details too much, as that article says at the bottom...

However, at the scales above, it’s not worth doing this with. If your tiles are much smaller and your level is much bigger then it will be worth it.
    In terms of PC development, you won't really see any strains unless your project starts exceeding prototype stages. A game like Vol's Spryke *would* have to ensure he has optimised all his images and event code.

Coming from the old school, backdrops were always more efficient on the Standard runtime (and early HWA runtimes), but with HWA, backdrops are handled the same as Active objects (minus the values/movements/animations). As Popcorn stated, it's easy with DX9/DX11 runtimes and current PC specs to just work with Actives and make use of 'Add to backdrop' at runtime and remove the Actives (if required).

That article, whilst applicable to PC dev, is more geared towards Mobile/Web/Console, as Mobile specs in particular are not even ~50% of the standard users PC.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents:

I never used background objects as colliders, I think it really is not a versatile feature if you want to make a big game. Right now im working on a level editor and using actives as tiles, though it works perfectly at 60fps on pc it lagged a lot on mobile, the way around it was to make all tiles inactive if too far from window, of course it brings a whole lot of problems like enemy collisions out of frame but it can be fixed easily if you make conditions to stop enemy behaviour when not in the player sight.

Also, im using 32x30 tiles scaled to 2x on a 1280x720 resolution.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting to the stage in my project where I can start thinking about levels and how large each frame will be - if I stick to a hard and fast rule, for example never exceed a certain frame size - for large "areas" just split this into separate frames. This is made much easier now that building your game entirely with Global Events is viable. Overall, knowing that I may as well just have my tiles as Active Objects is a comfort.

My game is quite a low res too - 480 * 270, so that helps.

As an aside, how vital is a level editor - I'm not sure I want to put the effort into it at this point. I'm sort of on the fence.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Progject. Not having a "Level Editor" will not give you heart failure, but it sure is nice to have for hassle free building levels.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Progject

There is no need to make your own level editor today, the only reason why people made it was because the code reuse issue in the past but with fusion 2.5+ there is no need for that anymore. The workflow by using fusion out of the box is also way more convenient than spending all your time developing your own frame/world editor when fusion already have one!

If you wanna make big levels its no problem, fusion is one of this engines that have very smooth performance out of the box, even on mobile, if you use it correctly. The rule is basically, use as often as you can quick backdrop or backdrop objects and actives only for things you really need them, like player, enemy, moving objects etc. NEVER use actives for building levels, NEVER. Actives are very heavy on performance, as said above already you will get lot of stuttering motion and performance issues, especially on mobile, by using to much of them.

Look in the example.mfa, where i make a big frame (16000x2000) and plaster it with quick backdrops, as you can see the performance is very smooth, even on lower mobile phones.

You could also use an external editor for tileset level creation like ( https://www.mapeditor.org/ ) and export your build level as a single png's (but i would not go over 2k for a single image), load it in fusion and set up you collision with transparent backdrops, this will also give you a very good performance. Its always better to use big prebuild world images instead of building your levels with lot of seperate tiles in fusion.

But as said above already it only really matters if you develop for mobile, tablets and desktop PC, for desktop PC alone you have mostly no performance issue, only if your game is really big with lot of stuff going on at the same time.

Conclusion: Fusion is very smooth and top performing with moderate use of big textures, plastering the frame with hundrets of small actives on the other hand is a big NO NO.
    Attached files Attached files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast