User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All tiles as actives - no backdrops. Is this a cool and good practice nowadays?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    The rule is basically, use as often as you can quick backdrop or backdrop objects and actives only for things you really need them, like player, enemy, moving objects etc. NEVER use actives for building levels, NEVER. Actives are very heavy on performance, as said above already you will get lot of stuttering motion and performance issues, especially on mobile, by using to much of them.
    That contradicts what Danny said:

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...with HWA, backdrops are handled the same as Active objects (minus the values/movements/animations).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last comparisons with the active vs backdrop tiles setup are about 3 years old now, but back then actives were really slower on my setup, even on PC (I never had real gaming machines tho).
    I think Actives come with a significant load compared to backdrops due to what Danny said, plus animation frame, animation direction, angle, scale x + y, strings, changeable RGB, changeable opacity. That's a lot of stuff to keep track of for a tile that just needs to sit around.
    Actives can be very useful tho if you're able to scale them as collision blocks. Fusion does not burn a unifying collision mask on HWA... so for collision checks, in my experience, the tile count matters a lot more compared to backdrop vs actives.
    In the end, I went with a setup that uses reasonable small backdrops for the cosmetics, and blocky large rectangles to construct a collision mask as simple as possible.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, I don't think it's a big deal either way, at least on PC. I've never used a single backdrop in my life, and I've never seen any performance problems due to that. I've hit performance walls over the years for various other reasons (eg. I've gone too heavy with shaders or particle effects or gigantic 4096x4096 background actives or poorly structured code), but besides that, I've never had a problem getting smooth framerates on PC, despite using active objects for absolutely everything. Backdrops are just way too limited for me to even consider using them, since you can't do anything to them in events.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All irrelevant if you want to use animated level tiles, and with PMO it handles jump through a differently to obstacles so you have to use actives for one of them and backdrops for the other.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    @Progject

There is no need to make your own level editor today, the only reason why people made it was because the code reuse issue in the past but with fusion 2.5+ there is no need for that anymore. The workflow by using fusion out of the box is also way more convenient than spending all your time developing your own frame/world editor when fusion already have one!

If you wanna make big levels its no problem, fusion is one of this engines that have very smooth performance out of the box, even on mobile, if you use it correctly. The rule is basically, use as often as you can quick backdrop or backdrop objects and actives only for things you really need them, like player, enemy, moving objects etc. NEVER use actives for building levels, NEVER. Actives are very heavy on performance, as said above already you will get lot of stuttering motion and performance issues, especially on mobile, by using to much of them.

Look in the example.mfa, where i make a big frame (16000x2000) and plaster it with quick backdrops, as you can see the performance is very smooth, even on lower mobile phones.

You could also use an external editor for tileset level creation like ( https://www.mapeditor.org/ ) and export your build level as a single png's (but i would not go over 2k for a single image), load it in fusion and set up you collision with transparent backdrops, this will also give you a very good performance. Its always better to use big prebuild world images instead of building your levels with lot of seperate tiles in fusion.

But as said above already it only really matters if you develop for mobile, tablets and desktop PC, for desktop PC alone you have mostly no performance issue, only if your game is really big with lot of stuff going on at the same time.

Conclusion: Fusion is very smooth and top performing with moderate use of big textures, plastering the frame with hundrets of small actives on the other hand is a big NO NO.
    I would say there IS a reason to use a level editor. When creating a level manually, you can't really assign custom data to instances of actives, whilst if you use a level editor you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2