User Tag List

Thread: Save Me From My Saving Conundrum

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save Me From My Saving Conundrum

Right, quick one. I've never made it far enough into a project to have to worry about save games before now, but I always assumed I would use INI++ or the Array object to save arrays and values there. This, of course, seems quite laborious, so I was pleased to see that the INI++ extension can simply save and load an entire Active Object, including all variables.

I have already used this for some basic settings with no issues, so my plan is to just carry on this way - have a series of global Active Objects which I'm using to store player attributes anyway and just have those save and load those in sequence. My question is - is there any drawback to this? It seems like a really easy way to go and I never see anybody else suggest this - everybody seems to use the arrays.

All I'm saving are things like, current XP, player level, player base attack, stats for current weapons, etc etc - all things that are already stored within Active Objects. I hope I'm not missing some sort of glaring problem with this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ini++ extension is quite powerful and a very good solution for saving and loading. It should be able to handle saving and loading all of the types of things you mentioned. I've been able to save and load entire levels with it. Just make sure you're using the latest version of the extension, as it was updated in April of 2019 to make it compatible with 2.5+. The only downside of Ini++ in my opinion, that I'm aware of, is that it is only for the Windows build type. If your primary goal is to make your game for PC, then it should be fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok great. Thanks. My game is indeed PC only and is likely to stay that way.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is to use an Array. It's a bit more complicated to get started with but for me it's more efficient and also much harder to edit/cheat outside the game since the ini is just a text file.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, but INI++ has built-in encryption. I think it's only unencrypted when actually being read/written, as I have monitored my ini save while my game is running and it's still encrypted.

Sure, it probably is easy to unencrypt if you have the know-how, but anybody willing to put in that effort is welcome to... most people just won't.