User Tag List

Thread: Physics game feeling weightless

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics game feeling weightless

Hello guys, I'm using the Physics Engine to create a game but I'm having a problem because everything is feeling weightless in it

I wanted a character to be able to push certain objects but not others and as it pushed the objects it could, it would get stronger until it could push the others it iniatially couldn't

However everything is pretty weightless, my character just touches something and it goes rolling around off screen as if punched by Superman

I've played with different values for density and friction but none gave me any sense of weight. I'm open to the idea of making my own weight system with variables but then I really need something to make those objects feel attached to the ground, and not be throw around by my character and other objects

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try setting the items movement to Physics static. Then increase the Density of the item. The higher the density the harder it should be to move.
    I have been making cars and trucks using Physics Engine and have increased the Density of my Car or truck body to give it more weight. Before i did that they were floating away on the smallest bumps.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4t View Post
    Try setting the items movement to Physics static. Then increase the Density of the item. The higher the density the harder it should be to move.
    I have been making cars and trucks using Physics Engine and have increased the Density of my Car or truck body to give it more weight. Before i did that they were floating away on the smallest bumps.
    I tried putting it at the maximum on 200 but they're still floaty

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can manually set density to any value, just type the number and skip the ruler. Like 500-2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    You can manually set density to any value, just type the number and skip the ruler. Like 500-2000
    oh cool, what would be a "normal" value? like just a wooden box

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always just fiddle around until is feels right. The density that needs to be applied also heavily depends on your target resolution and actual object volumes. I work with low resolutions and object sizes between 4x4 and 64x64 px, that’s why I need very high density values. Also, you can modify the object‘s individual gravity and the world‘s gravity applied to all objects. Density (weight) highly affects how objects behave on collision and impulse. If you’re just not satisfied with the falling speed gravity tuning may be preferred.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to note as well, the physical pixel size of the object affects its movement too - so the same force being applied to a 32x32 object will launch it further than a 64x64 object with the exact same density.

(That's the physical dimensions of the collision box itself. If you put a 16x16 sized square on a 64x64 size canvas, the physics engine will treat it the exact same as if it were 16x16)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenx View Post
    Something to note as well, the physical pixel size of the object affects its movement too - so the same force being applied to a 32x32 object will launch it further than a 64x64 object with the exact same density.

(That's the physical dimensions of the collision box itself. If you put a 16x16 sized square on a 64x64 size canvas, the physics engine will treat it the exact same as if it were 16x16)
    good to know, it's a bit hard to find the right balance for everything

Do objects exert pressure over one another? like a heavy object on top of another one would make the bottom one harder to move?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they do, it works pretty well! The friction value is very important in this setup, set it low and objects will behave more like ice blocks.