User Tag List

Thread: STEAM: Fonts and INI files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall CreatorInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up STEAM: Fonts and INI files

Hi All,

Wondering if anybody can give me some advice before I try and put my game(s) on Steam.

Our latest game Frustrate-a-ball uses Font Embed to install a specific font for the game. For the Windows version I just have the font in the applications folder and all works well. Does this work in the same way for Steam?

Also, I have a config INI file which I include in the application folder that the game uses. Can I bundle an INI file with a Steam executable??

Thanks for all your help

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not totally sure, but I think that including the files won't pose a problem. But altering the files once they're installed (eg. if you want your EXE to change something in the config.ini and resave the .ini) will almost certainly cause problems.

Windows is very precious about allowing programs write access to C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). So if a Steam user has their steam games installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapp\common\, then your EXE will probably be blocked from being able to modify a file like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapp\common\Frustrate-a-ball\config.ini

So most games avoid placing files they plan to modify in the Program Files folders. One option many games take is to use the My Documents folder instead for those sorts of files. That's one of the reasons why you've probably found that your My Documents folder is stuffed to the brim with saved games and miscellaneous junk from just about every game you've ever installed. Another option is to use the AppData folder. You can access the Appdata file by using the File Object. For example, telling your ini or ini++ object to save here:

AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) + "\Frustrate-a-ball\config.ini"

will save to

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Frustrate-a-ball\config.ini

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait..so without the File object, I basically cannot publish on Steam? As CTF itself cannot locate AppData, as far I know.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's possibly some way. Or you could avoid appdata and just install into c:\frustrate-a-ball or whatever.

But just use the file object. It's a basic object, made by Clickteam themselves.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall CreatorInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the information - much appreciated.
    I've currently been using Apppath$ so it looks like I'll have to change that.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey madmac,

Using AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) will retrieve the appdata directory for the currently logged in user, enabling you to store all your INIs/profiles/custom user files inside...
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers Danny.
    I've made that change and tested on the Steam dashboard and all works fine.
    Font embed also works a treat.
    Just waiting for Steam to review - fingers crossed!