User Tag List

Thread: Is it okay to Distribute EXE setup programs as TXTs?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is it okay to Distribute EXE setup programs as TXTs?

I have been trying to find a place to distribute my Windows setup files for my free programs. I am an individual, not a company and I have no website.
    Many of the places like Google Drive and others do not let you create downloadable links to exe or zip files. Other places like Tucows, FileHippo, CNET Download.com,
    and similar places require you to put a URL link to your software in. They don't actually store your program, they just provide a link to it.
    Softonic would let me upload a program, but I have to create a PAD file. The only info I can find about creating a PAD file on YouTube is 6 yrs old and is
    now defunct. A free program from the ASP called PADGEN is also no longer used. They now have a new online app for making PAD files that is very Vanilla!
    It has no prompts or help screens.
    Work Around - So, if I take a file like GameSetup.exe and change the name to GameSetup.txt, then it can be sent through email and downloaded by the
    recipient. They then change the extender back to exe and run it. This works.
    However, what are the dangers of doing this? Does making my exe a txt make it more susceptible to being engineered for malicious purposes?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    - RichC

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @RichC . I would avoid doing this if I were you. The average user will have no knowledge of how to convert the file back to an EXE, and these services will likely flag you as a malware distributor, so your accounts could be blocked from ever uploading a project ever again due to you trying to circumnavigate their rules. As a general rule, you want as low friction as possible between you distributing your game and the player playing it.

My advice to you is to set up your projects on https://itch.io or https://gamejolt.com. Both of these sites allow you to distribute Setup EXE's, they're free to use, you can design your game's website on them, and you can even make a little bit of money! You can easily distribute your games at either of these sites, generate game keys, upload screenshots/video, patch the game, and do basically everything else you're ever going to need to do in terms of managing and distributing your builds.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use itch.io like everyone else.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Gamejolt or Itch.io, if not a game use mediafire or onedrive.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I will check out both sites.
    And "yes" I did run into problems - especially with educational networks - they flagged me as a problem.
    And many people could net reset "txt" to "exe" - or they were scared out of it by all the Window's warnings.
    So, I will check out Gamejolt and Itch.io

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay - thanks again - I've put stuff up on itch.io - funny that most people never heard of it - I am trying to promote it every opportunity I get. Have a nice day.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    itch is known among developers but not so much among gamers. I love the site but if I have one criticism it's that they are terrible at promoting themselves and the games to average consumers. There certainly isn't Steam money to be made up there, mostly just developers supporting other developers, but in terms of simple distribution (especially for free projects) it can't be beat.