User Tag List

Thread: Please help me learn how to make JRPG Style dialog boxes, searching the internet is o

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help me learn how to make JRPG Style dialog boxes, searching the internet is o

*searching the internet is of no use

I recoeded a video of this PLEASE take a look and help
    https://youtu.be/ebE7mlKE_n0
    The video first shows that everything up until the problematic point works as it should, then I show what happens when I keep following the guide

I'm using Clickteam Fusion 2.5

I started following the guide "Dialog Tutorial Written by: Adam Gledhil" and quickly hit a wall when I got to "Part 5. Random speech with more than 1 character."

The problem is the expressions the guide says I should be using result in a Syntax Error after the point where the guide shows you how to make the app pick between 4 and 5 lines depending on which character speaks.

Basically form this point in the guide, nothing works

[Quote]
    delete this part of the expression:
    Str$(Random(4)+1)

click the "retrieve data from object" button. Right click the ini object icon, and select "get string
    (group -item)".

The expression should now look like this:
    GroupItemString$( "Ini", selected group( "local values" ), "say "+GroupItemString$( "Ini", >Group
    name<, >Item name<))

Delete ">Group name<" and type in "selected group( "local values" )".
    Delete ">Item name<" and type in "number of items" exactly as you wrote it in the ini file, don't
    forget the quotation marks because its a string

The expression should now look like this:
    GroupItemString$( "Ini", selected group( "local values" ), "say "+GroupItemString$( "Ini", selected
    group( "local values" ), "number of item"))[Quote]

^ RESULTS IN SYNTAX ERROR
    I noticed the expression he wrote says "number of item" not "items" so I thought that was it but NO! I fixed that and still Syntax error

I recoeded a video of this PLEASE take a look and help
    https://youtu.be/ebE7mlKE_n0

^ all of the above results in Syntax Errors, everything worked fine until then

again

The final expression should be:

----------------------
    GroupItemString$( "Ini", selected group( "local values" ), "say "+Str$(Random(Val(GroupItemString$
    ( "Ini", selected group( "local values" ), "number of items")))+1))

----------------------
    but that results in a syntax error for me
    everything in the ini is named correctly

This forum is confusing to me, no quote and code and bold buttons no nothing, anyway, here's my ini, it is set up the way the tutorial says it should be
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Adam]
    say 1 = Adam: Hello, I'm Adam.
    say 2 = Adam: Sentence 2
    say 3 = Adam: Sentence 3
    say 4 = Adam: Sentence 4
    number of items = 4
    [Katie]
    say 1 = Katie: Hi, i'm Katie!
    say 2 = Katie: cows go moo!
    say 3 = Katie: horses go naa!
    say 4 = Katie: sheep go baa!
    say 5 = Katie: Have a nice day.
    number of items = 5

EDIT: I'm at my wits end and I have to do this as part of my masters project for college, nobody can or knows how to help me
    it's important i do this asap
    I'm no programmer, I'm an artist i shouldn't evne be doing this

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems I can't edit the post anymore so I'll just have to reply to it!

Turns out the error I was getting was because there was a line break in the code which I couldn't and still can't see, I removed that and now the expression doesn't report a syntax error even when you don't correct "number of item" to "number of items"

312312ewe21312.jpg

so guys, I'm exhausted for the night, this took hours to figure out lol
    hopefully I can follow the rest of the tutorial from this point on tomorrow and learn something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have time to do this due to work but when I was done with work I went back to it and it was smooth sailing from the initial hicup with the line breaker

I was able to complete the tutorial no problem and fit the text in functional JRPG Style dialog boxes, I already knew how to do dialog boxes which while not covered in the tutorial itself is a no brainer really, at least the way I do it.

There is a problem however, if the text is too long and I do need some text to be longer there's a weird word wrapping glitch hapening at the end of each line, I made some dialog boxes with gibberish text to illustrate this, look at all 3 boxes and you'll notice how the words appear, then wrap in the next line and then start typing out properly or something like that

https://youtu.be/WGVURbIzlFk

Is there a simple way to fix this?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! What object are you using?
    Maybe force-justify or text:center would make it less random.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the ini object combined with a string object like the tutorial says