User Tag List

Thread: How to delete/reset global objects

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to delete/reset global objects

Basically I am using global variables from alterable values in global objects and I found out that the changed variables in a global object will be saved even if the frame you are on doesn't have that object and then you go to one that does, all it's changed variables will be there still. So I wanted to know if there was any way I can restart them all back to 0 and all it's flags reset and strings. Because when I go back to the menu screen and start a new game, I want it to be as if I never touched it before.

The reason i'm doing it like this is because my game works off of multiple frames not just on 1. And there are things I would like to be saved like if the character is holding something, I made a global object called hand and it has a string that says what the character is holding. When I go to another frame that doesn't have the character in it and then come back he is still holding that item. (That's what I want) But if I go to the menu screen and start a new game he is still holding that item.

Any way I can reset all of the objects I want? Would I have to make a frame with every object I use and reset it that way? Help would be greatly appreciated. or some knowledge on global objects. (The editor Synchronization is set to same name same objects if that helps)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I load / save my global values to an ini file at the end / start of every frame. That way if someone stops playing the game at end of Level 3 - they can start at Level 4 next time and pick up where they've left off because their data is preserved. Also I only save the new values if they complete the level - so if they stop playing halfway through the level it will preserve the save state as it was at the start of the level.

If they then start a new game I delete the saved data in the ini file which resets everything back to zero when Fusion reads from it at the start of the next Level (frame). I save it in groups - so resetting something is as simple as just deleting that group.

The global variables that I need to act like local variables I reset as a Start of Frame event - you could do the same with alterable values.

If you want to reset your objects you can also destroy them and create them again, by code, in other words you must create the character in an event, not tick the block - create a start - in the object's properties.

Another option would be to set a global value - if new game = 1 - then in a start of frame event - reset everything, the flags and values etc
    (and set new game = 0 so it doesn't trigger again.)

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by josm View Post
    I found out that the changed variables in a global object will be saved even if the frame you are on doesn't have that object and then you go to one that does, all it's changed variables will be there still.
    Yes, variables from global objects are preserved for all the application.

Because when I go back to the menu screen and start a new game, I want it to be as if I never touched it before.
    You have to reset those variables and flags at the start of this menu frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response

So if I add a new variable I would have to make sure it's something I don't forget to add to the list of things that need resetting right?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you add new variables to global objects don't forget to reset them manually if and/or when this is required.