User Tag List

Thread: [Bug] Objects initialised and looped in a same event

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Bug] Objects initialised and looped in a same event

Hello, here is a bug in Fusion 2.5 that I often encounter. When you initialise several instances of an object, and in the same event line you change their value in a loop, the last object (newer object) stays in the initial state. Clickteam could you please fix it ?
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it in the same event line you can use a "for each loop" and it works.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oups, wrong section, it's not a problem with the HTML5 exporter but with Fusion. Can an admin move the topic please?

Yes Manuel, we can do it the way you say, but It should work without too.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's bizarre - if you use another action like "make object invisible" or "destroy" it behaves the way you would expect and scopes *all* of the objects

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenx View Post
    That's bizarre - if you use another action like "make object invisible" or "destroy" it behaves the way you would expect and scopes *all* of the objects
    Not completely. If you put a make invisible action in the fastloop like this, then it appears to behave as expected (they all go invisible):

....but then if we add another event to let us take a peek at the previously hidden objects, and press spacebar, we see that things are not all kosher:

And if you put a make invisible action in the first event, it has the same bug as before (one of the objects remains invisible):

I have two hunches about this. My first hunch is that this is a combination of two bugs. The first bug is that a calling a fastloop will break scope for objects if those objects are also referenced by the fastloop. So this, for example, works fine, because the fastloop no longer references the teal object:

But as soon as you add a reference to the teal object inside the fastloop, the scoping for the teal object is broken in event #5:

I did a bit of investigating into scope a while back and I remember concluding that fastloops and scoping just don't mix. I think shaku88's example is a variation of the bug I found in the "Example fastloops #5" example in that link:

Though I don't think I realised the problem was as serious as shaku88's example. I think I probably thought it was confined to certain conditions and/or newly created objects. I didn't realise that it even broke 'scope' for events that don't even contain active objects in the conditions.

So I think what's going on in shaku88's example, is that the 'scope' of the event is 'all active objects' (since shaku88 hasn't actually scoped any particular objects in the conditions), but the fastloop manages to break even that 'scope', and so the action ends up only executing on the most recent object.

The second bug that I think might be going on is that the fastloop is being executed before the other action. So I think that what's happening might in a sense be the reverse of this:

When you initialise several instances of an object, and in the same event line you change their value in a loop, the last object (newer object) stays in the initial state

This is shaku88's code:

But notice that you'll get exactly the same outcome with the following code:

I believe that this variation is the one that Fusion is actually doing. It executes the fastloop, and then it moves Active Object to 150. If this is the case, then it really should move all the objects to 150. But because the fastloop has broken the scope (as shown above), it only moves the most recent one. I might be wrong about this part, though, and the more I think about it, the more I think I probably am. For one thing, I have absolutely no idea what's going on here:

This one just is just bizarre. It first moves the second-most recent object to 300, then moves all but the most recent and second-most recent objects to 200, then moves the most recent one to 100!

So that's my first hunch: that the fastloop is both messing up the 'scope' and (maybe)being executed earlier than it was supposed to, resulting in this very counter-intuitive result.

My second hunch is simply: that we'll never see this issue fixed before Fusion 3. The inner workings of this type of long-entrenched bug is probably byzantine and confusing even to the developers themselves, and they might be reluctant to start pulling on too many old bits of the Jenga tower. So I think that we're probably stuck with these sorts of bugs, and we just need to make it a habit to not manipulate the same object in fastloops as in the events that called the fastloops. It's probably best to put fastloops in separate events whenever there's any doubt.

Sheesh, I really need to get back to work

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I kept referring to shaku88 when I should have been saying DavidT. I got my threads mixed up