User Tag List

Thread: How do you search for a word in a LIST BOX?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you search for a word in a LIST BOX?

Hi - I write educational Android apps that often deal with terminology. I would like to have a glossary frame where the user can input a term and then the app would go to the word in the list.
    I can get the glossary into the app by using a List Box. I would like the user to click on a "Search" button, type a word into an "Edit" box and then have the list box jump to that word in the list.
    The List Box works great for displaying a list of terms and definitions. It does, unfortunately, lack the ability to apply text features to individual words.
    BTW - The "Find" functions are not in the Android version of the List Box or Edit Box. I wonder why they were removed?
    So, anyway, does anyone know of a way of searching for a term in a long list of words and definitions that is about 500 lines long? Thanks.
    I originally posted this in another area of the forum, but I didn't get any responses so I am trying here.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...maybe you can simply traversal through the list via a fastloop and then compare the string gets by LoopIndex using "Compare two general value".

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... okay. I will look into FastLoop on LoopIndex. I am not familiar with them. Thanks for the input.
    Well - I looked. There is no fast loop object for Android, only Windows. Darn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay - I think I solved this.
    What I did was create an active object that I named "INDEX". Then I set the Alterable values and strings to match the word number and the word string respectfully. The string being searched for is entered in an Edit Box. Then the string from the Edit Box is retrieved to a String object. This string object is compared, word by word, with the string variables in the INDEX. Once found, the corresponding word number is retrieved from the Alterable values of INDEX. This is the line number of the word in the LIST BOX which I then set the focus to. I just have to work out a couple of rough spots like a "word not found" message and clearing everything for another search. But, in a preliminary run, things seem to work.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fastloop is not an object but a built-in function, so it should support all exporters, including Android.
    here is an quick example for you.
    ListSearch.mfa
    (I didn't find a "List Box" object so in the example I used "list" instead.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry - been out of the MMF loop. I downloaded the mfa above and will look at it. Thanks for your effort and time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defisym - I took a look at the mfa. I'm not sure if it will work. My "list" is actually a glossary with terms and definitions. I have found that the wrap-around on the screen at different resolutions throws off the line number of the item searched for. So, if I use the search loop and then try to focus on the found line in the list, it goes to the wrong spot. My apps are used on smartphones, tablets, Android TVs, and Android smart-boards. The screen size varies a lot. I'll expand on your idea and see if the wrapping affects the numbering.
    Again, a big thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Prtoblem - solved. Final MFA. Thanks for help.

Okay - problem solved the right way (that's always best). Here is the final code that solved the problem.
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much Defisym. I started with Klik n' Play in 1995 and I'm always learning more. Have a nice day.