User Tag List

Thread: Cant Get Physics Working At All

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant Get Physics Working At All

Hi, I'm just trying to get a bunch of falling object collide with the ground and act with physics. I've followed all the instructions and tutorials I can find but my object (falling boxes- static movement) always simply fall straight through the ground object (Physics Background). The objects are detecting collisions (I have tested using debug) but they are not reacting accordingly. I have a physics engine in the worlds etc.. Is physics broken in the latest version? I dont know what I am doing wrong.
    Please help. Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to find an example in the examples folder but couldnt find one. Does anyone have a very basic physics example.mfa I could try and test...eg..sprite falls and hits/bounces off ground.
    CHeers

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the physics engine the logic is reversed for static objects. What i mean by that, you have for example static_physics_PLAYER collision with static_physics_ENEMY and you would logically say now via event "PLAYER stop" like in the non-physics collision system but you have to say "ENEMY stop", or both (better even add a qualifier and say "QUALIFIER stop")

-------

for example;

static_physics_PLAYER collision with static_physics_ENEMY
    -static_physics_ENEMY stop

(this will stop static_physics_PLAYER - reversed logic like in the non-physics collision)
    if you say static_physics_PLAYER stop it will only register collision once than it goes through static_physics_ENEMY.

-------

But thats only for static vs static, for physics background and physics ground object its different, there you have to say:

static_object_PLAYER collides with the background
    -static_object_PLYER stop

(physics_background has to be set to obstacle in properties - very important otherwise no collision)

-------

I do it always with qualifier like, A collides with B = Qualifier stop OR Qualifier collides with Qualifier = Qualifier Stop (and both objects have the same qualifier)

EDIT: i posted this drag example file on another thread recently but it maybe helps you also
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks I got it working. I think the thing that really threw me was that I actually needed to create an event : if falling object collides>Stop.

I think I was confused because it doesn't seem intuitive that's all. Firstly, the event doesn't actually 'stop' anything (the wording should be something more like 'react'/'respond') and secondly i would have thought the bounce/collision behaviour would be automatic anyway seeing as the objects are already assigned physics properties. ie I shouldn't even need an on collision event for them to respond to each other.

I'm just doing some general comparisons with Construct 3 in which there is no need to actual have an event. Any physics objects just react automatically to each other. The fusion way seems like there is just an extra step for no reason.(?)

Cheers

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i was also confused when i started ... clickteam should stick to more industry standart methods and naming in my opinion

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
    Okay thanks I got it working. I think the thing that really threw me was that I actually needed to create an event : if falling object collides>Stop.

I think I was confused because it doesn't seem intuitive that's all. Firstly, the event doesn't actually 'stop' anything (the wording should be something more like 'react'/'respond') and secondly i would have thought the bounce/collision behaviour would be automatic anyway seeing as the objects are already assigned physics properties. ie I shouldn't even need an on collision event for them to respond to each other.

I'm just doing some general comparisons with Construct 3 in which there is no need to actual have an event. Any physics objects just react automatically to each other. The fusion way seems like there is just an extra step for no reason.(?)

Cheers
    I guess there might be the occasional situation where you don't want it to 'stop' (some sort of special platform type that lets certain objects through, or some special powerup that lets your player walk through walls for a few seconds, for example). In that case, I imagine that if Fusion just blindly did 'stop' to everything on its own without your input, there'd be no way to tell it to not 'stop' when you needed it to. Though this is all speculation on my part, as I haven't used the physics engine...

I definitely agree that the naming conventions could be a lot more user-friendly. There are several different things in Fusion that can "stop", and their actions look almost identical. It's almost as bad as the gazillion different ways that Fusion uses the word "frame".