User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Joystick 2 Device names

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

List of Joystick 2 Device names

I have a curious conundrum. I'm interested in creating a dynamically-changing UI for my game, where the style changes to match your currently-held controller (based on latest input). The idea is I would grab the "DeviceName$" value from the controller and switch to a different icon set animation. I only have a few controllers available to me, and money is tight, so in order to make this work I need a list of device names, like "Xbox One for Windows" or "XBOX 360 for Windows." Obviously I'm not going to create an icon set for every possible controller throughout time, just a few major ones, but it's impossible to guess what those names will be, especially with unpredictable capitalization and such (see above). Does anybody know if such a list exists? Google searches are coming up empty.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't make any sense of that github text, but I'd question how useful it is. I can tell you that, last I checked, Joystick 2 detects my PS4 controller's name as just "Wireless Controller" (despite it being wired). Below is the code from VACCiNE (free version here), where I did something along the same lines as what you're trying to do.

Also, be warned that, IIRC, the same gamepad can sometimes show up with a slightly different name (eg. if it had a different driver, firmware, OS, etc.). IIRC I've seen the same physical Xbone controller return both of these:
    "xbox one for windows (controller)"
    "controller (xbox one for windows)"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running your Dualshock through DS4Windows, InputMapper, or just on its own? I could see how if it's going through an input emulator that it'd read the device as more generic, or vice versa, because I also dunno if DualShocks can finally even be read as devices WITHOUT an input emulator.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On its own

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating. I wonder if it's maybe still worth implementing a control UI users can select in the Options menu, but default to automatic overrides for just a few specific cases. Unfortunately testing has shown that my players barely ever go into the Options menu, or realize it's there, despite it being in big honking text in the main menu. Knowing that, I can't really assume they'll know Rt on an XBox Controller and R2 on a DualShock are the same thing.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a control freak, I don't think I've ever in my life started a game without first investigating the options menu!

If your players will be using ps4 controllers without checking the options menu then you probably will have bigger problems than whether your label shows RT or R2. Joystick 2 reads the two gamepads totally differently. Left is up, up is down, 0 on one is - 995 on another, and other nonsense like that. And the xbox triggers are linked (triggers cancel each other out so if both are pressed you get 0) while the ps4 ones are not (2 separate values so if both are pressed they'll both be 1000 or whatever).

All of that is addressed in VACCiNE which automatically detects gamepads and unifies them into the same system. As far as I can tell in my own testing, it works pretty well. I could never get vibration to work for naked ps4 though - only with ds4 (in which case it effectively ceases to be a ps4 gamepad as far as joystick 2 is concerned)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have problems with triggers in that Xbox One controllers would cause the player to always move left, while 360 controllers were fine, due to the difference in how triggers were read (Z rotation being 0 to 1 individually per trigger on 360, and -1 to 1 in total on XB1). But then somewhere along the way this got unified at the OS level to the 360 control math, which I confirmed in the Setup USB Game Controllers window, so... »\_(ツ)_/»

All that work adjusting for the bug down the drain.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VACCiNE is an outstanding piece of work - but it's utterly ridiculous how a community solution is needed for what should be basic functionality in a modern game engine. I don't want to cause a controversy but in Godot, for example, none of this is even an issue - and that's free for commercial use...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like the idea of having to download a community solution just to get something as simple gamepads working in his game, imagine being the poor sap who had to build a community solution just to get something as simple as gamepads working in his game

Yves mentioned something in some thread somewhere that they might redo an internal joystick object if they decide it's necessary. Fingers crossed....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast