User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adding sounds to game bloats mfa size

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it would be platform and type of game dependent.

I only play games / make games for the casual games market and the music is mostly just a background tune - often a very repetitive one. However I usually leave the game sounds on (unless they're annoying) - so you hear clicks / activities - just not the music. All the games I play have the two options - music vs sounds that you can turn on / off separately. I write all my games similarly.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never turn off sound or music in PC games. I have a love affair with games and I want to enjoy them to the fullest. So I'll more likely spend 40 minutes fiddling with settings and ini files to get an extra layer of antialiasing or better anisotropic filtering than I am to start turning off parts of the core experience like music.

But on every single mobile game I've ever played, the first thing I've always done is turn off all sounds (I don't play mobile games any more - free-to-play has ruined the medium as far as I'm concerned - but when I did, I always turned the sound off). If a game didn't have a sound off button, I'd probably uninstall it immediately. So although I would never turn off the sound in a PC game except in specific circumstances (the Fallout games sound so amazing with Tim Hecker's dystopian drone music playing), I can see that some people would treat PC gaming in the same casual 'I'm not in this for immersion, I just want partial distraction while I do other stuff' way that I treat(ed) mobile gaming.

I think most people probably don't realise how much the sound and music in games is adding to their experience. Game music tends to be one of those things that is at its best when you don't notice it. But I still think you need to give people the option to turn it off. You don't know their specific situation, and not giving them the option is just going to annoy them. Kind of like how unskippable cutscenes seem like a bad idea to everyone except the person who made the cutscene.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for all of your help, @Volnaiskra I'm converting over sounds from built-in to Looki's extension right now, is it possible to get the volume of a sound played with the Looki extension via expression?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh never mind, I can just get the sample name using the regular sound expression.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I'm currently using it with ogg files at vbr quality 6.0 (roughly 192) and the speed of the music playing is inconsistent, but this is each time it gets played, sometimes too slow and sometimes too fast. I am not setting any playback seeds so why is this happening?

EDIT: apparently if I hard-force each sample to be played at original frequency, it's fine. Why on earth would I need to do this if I haven't changed the frequency at all?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2