User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Too many unique active objects = Corruption of Event Editor?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenx View Post
    Huh... I had never thought to do this, this is a really neat way to do it
    The only problem with this method (and I've used it before a bit) is alterable values of identical objects. In a custom editor you can change each object individually, but in the frame editor in Fusion you can't have 2 identical objects with different alterable values. Say your level has 2 moving platforms but one should move farther than the other. In your own custom built editor you can make it so you can edit each object's "distance" alterable value and then save to an array. Using just the frame editor both objects will share the same distance value (unless you clone the object and use a group qualifier, but then you end up with an insane amount of unique objects). There are clever-ish ways around this, but it's not worth it from my experience.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    agreed.. I can't imagine having thousands of objects to contend with in the event editor >_<

my project is tightly packaged, where for example, every enemy sprite/animation is embedded in one active object that just loads different animations/values/stats for different enemies.. the player can have 50+ different weapons, they all share the same object, I just use alterable values to modify things like stats/effects/animation speed etc.

See below, my entire project which is a fairly fully featured action RPG, has hardly any objects at all. It makes dealing with the event editor 1000x more enjoyable.

Over the years I have move toward creating everything I can in a modular way, from reusable particle generators and projectile controllers, but I've never gone so far as to combine all enemies into a single object. I use qualifiers for enemies so I am only coding for one thing, but I still have lots of separate enemy objects. What you're doing is a level of organization and planning beyond me. Seriously impressive.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyGoose View Post
    The only problem with this method (and I've used it before a bit) is alterable values of identical objects. In a custom editor you can change each object individually, but in the frame editor in Fusion you can't have 2 identical objects with different alterable values. Say your level has 2 moving platforms but one should move farther than the other. In your own custom built editor you can make it so you can edit each object's "distance" alterable value and then save to an array. Using just the frame editor both objects will share the same distance value (unless you clone the object and use a group qualifier, but then you end up with an insane amount of unique objects). There are clever-ish ways around this, but it's not worth it from my experience.
    You'd need to find some way to apply individual values to those duplicate objects. For some reason my instinct says to make a counter and set it to a value. Place that counter on top of the object in question. At the start of the frame, apply the value of any counter overlapping those objects and apply the value of that counter to distance alterable value of the object. Then destroy the counter. Just also make sure you move the objects on For Each loops or they will also eventually sync up. Yeah you'll have a bunch of counters but they'll all get destroyed when you run the game anyway.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyGoose View Post
    Prior to having different spawners for objects I had different "modifier"-objects. When those collided with an active object it sets a specific value or does something else, and then the modifier destroys itself.
    Based on your example, I have one moving platform object that with different directions which holds different animations/sizes instead of having two or more separate moving platforms. If I then place two of the same moving platforms in a level I could just drag a "Modifier 1" to one of the moving platforms which would changes its size. I could also drag "Modifier 2" which can do something else, for example, change its X or Y speed. And other modifiers like "Modifier 3" could make the object invisible, and so on.

This way, I only had to have a maximum of perhaps 5 unique "modifier"-objects to make the changes I needed.

Nowadays, I just use different spawners for moving platforms instead, as that's easier for me to deal with. And those spawners just sets the values to whatever I need.

Clicker

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vSv View Post
    Prior to having different spawners for objects I had different "modifier"-objects. When those collided with an active object it sets a specific value or does something else, and then the modifier destroys itself.
    Based on your example, I have one moving platform object that with different directions which holds different animations/sizes instead of having two or more separate moving platforms. If I then place two of the same moving platforms in a level I could just drag a "Modifier 1" to one of the moving platforms which would changes its size. I could also drag "Modifier 2" which can do something else, for example, change its X or Y speed. And other modifiers like "Modifier 3" could make the object invisible, and so on.

This way, I only had to have a maximum of perhaps 5 unique "modifier"-objects to make the changes I needed.

Nowadays, I just use different spawners for moving platforms instead, as that's easier for me to deal with. And those spawners just sets the values to whatever I need.
    Yeah, I've used that solution in small projects, and it's one of the "cleverish ways around" the limitation I alluded to, but it gets so cumbersome for any sort of complex project to stack actives on actives just to change values.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4