User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many unique active objects = Corruption of Event Editor?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Too many unique active objects = Corruption of Event Editor?

I've run into a pretty large, software breaking problem here which has stopped pretty much my whole project.

I have been working on converting my Backdrops into Active Objects (AO's) as I needed to have them as AO's to be able to save them in an array for saving/loading levels.

However, I didn't think this would cause any problem and I've just noticed it today when trying to convert a small batch of Backdrops.
    It seems I've run into some kind of maximum AO's that the Event Editor in CTF 2.5+ is able to handle?

Whenever I have more than 2045 (I think this number is somewhat correct at least) unique AO's the problems starts to unfold. Adding more unique AO's causes problems to increase exponentially it seems.
    I've tested to add more backdrops to see if this caused any problem but it doesn't seem like that. It's only when I create new AO's over this "limit".

This problem seems to add strange objects to the Event Editor which you can see in my attached file. Every picture is one more AO added to the frame.
    As I'm starting near the limit of the problem, adding one AO works fine, adding two AO's adds two strange objects which are named as two already existing objects and it also adds a closing bracket for a folder which doesn't exist, adding three AO's messes it up further, four more AO's really expands the problem and five AO's causes "Bad Object" to appear. Six AO's crashes CTF when trying to enter the Event Editor.

Is this an known error? Can I do anything to prevent this from happening besides not adding more AO's? Why is this happening?
    I noticed that using the Event List Editor instead of the Event Editor works, even when there are way more than 6 new unique AO's. But I really would like to be able to continue to use the Event Editor.
    Attached files Attached files

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've just checked the source code and yes there is a limit, around 2000.

We'll increase it in the next update (making it unlimited would be possible but would be a risk given the number of changes).

EDIT: we plan to release a beta at the end of next week. Unfortunately I can't send you a temporary fix right now, due to the other changes that have been done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answer Yves!

That's really great to hear! Just curious, if not unlimited, what will be the new limit that I should refrain from exceeding when the next update is released?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is 5000 enough?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed now that it's not just AO's that makes this problem occur. It seems that adding objects that get an Icon in the upper part of the Event Editor causes this problem, like counters etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I don't think 5000 is enough in the long run. But it's much better than 2000. I would like it as high as possible, as long as it doesn't break stuff of course.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't run into this problem yet, but it sounds like a problem that I will eventually run into, if I'm understanding it correctly.

While 5000 is better than 2000, I would also like to request that it be as high as possible. I obviously have no understanding of how things work under the hood in Fusions source code or why, so I apologize if this is an absurd suggestion. How about setting the limit to be 30000? That's the max number of objects you can have in a frame, right? So there wouldn't really be a point to have it any higher than that, and any lower would be rather confusing since the max object limit of each frame is so much higher than this unique active object limit. Not saying I intend to or even want to get anywhere near 30000 unique objects, and I'm sure most other people wouldn't either, but if it can be raised up to be the same as the frames object limit, then we won't even have to worry about this unique active object limit since it would basically become synonymous with the frames max object limit.

There's a frame in my game where I store almost all of the active objects that I will ever need in the game. This frame is never visited while playing the game. It's used as a depot. I load every level in a single "Level Frame" since I use a level editor, and when the levels are loaded, the objects stored in the "Depot Frame" are loaded as needed into the Level Frame. These objects are all global so I can edit them as needed in the Depot Frame and the changes will carry over to the Level Frame where they also "exist" via the creation events. That's where I think one of the problems of this limit will eventually show up for me. Since the creation events in the Level Frame add the object to the event editor of the frame, all of the objects in the Depot Frame will eventually "exist" within the event editor and object list of the Level Frame via the creation events. Even if I made multiple Depot Frames, each one only storing up to 2000 active objects, they would all still eventually add up to a number over 2000 in the object list and event editor of the Level Frame.

So far I only have a little over 500 unique active objects in my "Depot Frame", but that's just the first batch of objects. I certainly believe it will be over 2000 in the end. I'm trying to save object space by storing variants of the same type of object in a single active by using animation frames and directions, but it's still going to go over the 2000 limit eventually. I had previously thought that the only limit for storing these objects in the "Depot Frame" was the object limit of the frame itself.

Also, is this current limit of 2000 unique active objects a limit per frame, or per application?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    >> How about setting the limit to be 30000?

I don't know very well this code and I want to make sure changing this limitation is safe and doesn't explode the used memory. This limit shouldn't even exist, but I've no time to remove it and do all the necessary changes right now. I'll probably increase it to 10,000. I don't remember any bug report about this problem until today and probably multiplying this limit by 5 will be enough until we can fix this correctly.

>> Also, is this current limit of 2000 unique active objects a limit per frame, or per application?

This is a per-frame limitation in the object bar in the event editor (maybe also in dialog boxes that display objects in the event editors), though this can be also a per-application limitation if you use the global event editor and import all the objects from all the frames.

Does your Depot frame have events? It doesn't seem so from what you say. In this case you can just ignore this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably even further out, and a lot more work, but it sounds like a bit more direct control over Backdrop objects would alleviate the problem, specifically being able to Create Backdrop, and comparing the basic values of it like X/Y position, RGB Coefficient, etc.

In the meantime I would recommend storing the Active's X/Y position and type in a separate array, then using the Animation > Paste as Backdrop function, and finally destroying the active. You can use the Storyboard > Delete Backdrops At function to erase the backdrop later. As for clearing out deleted backdrops, I'd probably run a fast loop that moves a detector active to each X/Y position stored in that array. If it's not colliding with a backdrop there, clear the cell. Then only save the cells with an X value greater than 0 to the actual level array file.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10,000 sounds like quite a good compromise. I think I should be able to find a way to avoid this problem with the limit increased to that, assuming it's actually a problem I was heading towards eventually.

Ah I see. Good to know that it's per-frame. Although i guess it could possibly be considered per-application in my case, as you say, since I am running all of the levels of the game in a single frame.

There are no events in my Depot frame. My concern comes from the fact that every object in the Depot (they are all global objects) has a creation event for it in the Level frame, and thus every object in the Depot frame appears in the object bar of the event editor in the Level frame because of, at the very least, the create object events that refer to them. So if I eventually have 2000+ objects in the Depot, there will also be 2000+ objects listed in the object bar of the event editor for the Level frame. Wouldn't this trigger the problem? Or do global objects stored in a separate frame and called via create events in another frame somehow bypass this limit?

The reason I keep all of these objects in a Depot frame rather than just off to the side in the Level frame with "create at start" unchecked, is because at the very least it makes the default Level frame far less cluttered.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast