User Tag List

Thread: Is there a better way for creating a level?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is there a better way for creating a level?

Hello, I have been using clickteam for around a year or two now, and after hours of creating levels by using the built in duplicate option for objects, I have to ask, is there an easier way to create levels with actives as tiles?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on what you mean by easier. Making the layout for a level in the frame editor is not hard, but it may be time consuming, as you have to drag and drop tiles to create them. And if you want to create similar objects with different attributes, directions etc, you'll either need to create totally different objects, or have some kind of value-setter objects on top of them, which is not very convenient. And don't get me started on triggers, switches, scripted events etc.. In that regard, having a custom made level editor can make the level-creator's job alot easier.

Then the only question is, how hard is it to create a level editor for your game, and that depends on your skills with Fusion, on how advanced the level editor needs to be and on how user-friendly you want to make the editor. A level editor can be everything from extremely easy and quick to make, to very difficult and take a long time to make.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn basic Arrays and the File Object. When you have those down, you'll be able to store massive amounts of data to create almost any level you can think of. Then you can go forth with that knowledge to create a level editor and cut your content development time to 10% of what it is now.

Here's an Almighty Zen Taco video that covers the basics of the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqKzZA6Z2o
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4b34OxGm9k

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I can't get my head round with a level editor - how do you handle scripted events such as cutscenes and just plain unique, out of the blue level-specific stuff happening?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandwovenBox View Post
    Hello, I have been using clickteam for around a year or two now, and after hours of creating levels by using the built in duplicate option for objects, I have to ask, is there an easier way to create levels with actives as tiles?
    Silly suggestion but hopefully you know that you can use shortcuts such as holding ctrl and drag actives to get duplicates (instead of right clicking and selecting the option). U also have the paint tool if you want to paint your actives.

If you meant more advanced options, there are tutorials on how to build level editors out there.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Progject View Post
    The thing I can't get my head round with a level editor - how do you handle scripted events such as cutscenes and just plain unique, out of the blue level-specific stuff happening?
    You'd have an invisible block that can call scripted events when you collide with it. Then in the array you'd call the specific scripted event to a certain number, and compare to the event when that number is called. Then you'd have to script is separately. Still waiting on external event sheets.