User Tag List

Thread: Super Nintendo Resolution Compensation.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Nintendo Resolution Compensation.

Super NES Programming/SNES Specs

Technical specifications

• Core
    • CPU: Nintendo custom '5A22', believed to be produced by Ricoh; based around a 16-bit CMD/GTE 65c816 (a clone of the Western Design Center 65816). [Edit note: 65c816 was made by Western Design Center by William D. Mensch. CMD/GTE was a licensee] The CPU runs the 65c816-alike core with a variable-speed bus, with bus access times determined by addresses accessed, with a maximum theoretical effective clock rate around 3.58 MHz. The SNES/SFC provided the CPU with 128 KB of Work RAM.

• The CPU also contains other support hardware, including:
      • for interfacing with controller ports;
      • for generating NMI interrupts on Vertical blanking interval;
      • for generating IRQ interrupts on screen positions;
      • Direct memory access unit, supporting two primary modes, general DMA (for block transfers, at a rate of 2.68MB/second) and Horizontal blanking interval DMA (for transferring small data sets at the end of each scanline, outside of the active display period);
      • multiplication and division registers.

• Cartridge Size Specifications: 2 - 32 Megabits (Mb) which ran at two speeds ('SlowROM' and 'FastROM'). Custom address decoders allow larger sizes, eg. 48 Mb for Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia

• Sound
      • Sound Controller Chip: 8-bit Sony SPC700 CPU for controlling the Digital signal processor running at an effective clock rate around 1.024 MHz.
      • Main Sound Chip: 8-channel Sony S-DSP with hardware ADPCM decompression, pitch modulation, echo effect with feedback (for reverberation) with 8-tap FIR filter, and ADSR and 'GAIN' (discretely controlled) volume envelopes.
      • Memory Cycle Time: 279 ms
      • Sound RAM: 512 kilobit(Kb) shared between SPC700 and S-DSP.
      • Pulse Code Modulator: 16-bit ADPCM (using 4-bit compressed ADPCM samples, expanded to 15-bit resolution, processed with an additional 4-point Gaussian sound interpolation).
      • Note - while not directly related to SNES hardware, the standard extension for SNES audio subsystem state files saved by emulators is SPC_sound_format(.spc), a format used by SPC players.

• Video
      • Picture Processor Unit: 15-Bit
      • Video RAM: 64 KB of VRAM for screen maps (for 'background' layers) and tile sets (for backgrounds and objects); 512 + 32 bytes of 'OAM' (Object Attribute Memory) for objects; 512 bytes of 'CGRAM' for palette data.
      • Palette: 256 entries; 15-Bit color (BGR555) for a total of 32,768 colors.
      • Maximum colors per layer per scanline: 256.
      • Maximum colors on-screen: 32,768 (using color arithmetic for transparency effects).
      • Resolution: between 256x224 and 512x448. Most games used 256x224 pixels since higher resolutions caused slowdown, flicker, and/or had increased limitations on layers and colors (due to memory bandwidth constraints); the higher resolutions were used for less processor-intensive games, in-game menus, text, and high resolution images.
      • Maximum onscreen objects (sprites): 128 (32 per line, up to 34 8x8 tiles per line).
      • Maximum number of sprite pixels on one scanline: 256. The renderer was designed such that it would drop the frontmost sprites instead of the rearmost sprites if a scanline exceeded the limit, allowing for creative clipping effects.
      • Most common display modes: Pixel-to-pixel text mode 1 (2 16 color per tile scrolling layers; 1 4 color per tile scrolling layer) and affine mapped text mode 7 (256 colors per tile; one rotating/scaling layer).

The issue I read in other forums, was getting full screen to work with the Native Graphics of the SNES. I tried numerous solutions those forums suggested to no avail that looked proper at 1280 x 720 screen resolution.

So, I deleted everything and started over. The solution was to simply stretch the Game window to the Screen size with no border.

This is my example of the graphics fitting pretty much any screen with no clipping.

Hope this helps someone making a Fan Game for older systems...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I follow what's going on here.

Ultimate Fullscreen does a pretty good job at scaling things up without sacrificing image quality and aspect ratio.

Fusion has a "Change Resolution Mode" that works alright. Keep screen ratio and set the tolerance to zero.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post is to keep from having to Change the Resolution as Some Tvs and Monitors, do not support the "Change Resolution Mode" option with the same refresh rate and to keep from having more extensions running in the game. At least my Samsung 50" and my New Vizio 65" hate the " Change Resolution Mode " option. Mostly the Samsung. The Vizio kinda catches up and stops clipping.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I understand now.

Have you tried these settings? This should give you the best fit at any resolution.

res.png

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the settings I have right now, with no Clipping or Issues. I tested it on my 55" Samsung and my 65" Vizio, with no issues.
    I also tested it on an old LCD Monitor, That looked fine too, however it seemed like the Speed of movement increased, do to the width being smaller. Graphics wise, no issues though.

NINTENDO Setup.jpg

This Video pretty much shows what it looks like playing the game so far.

Thanks for the Info. I may use it on a TMNT Remake next.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a bit older video of it, when I had a strange Glitch Caused by MMF2.5Dev. I figured it out after about an hour. I just restarted MMF2.5Dev and the Glitch was Gone.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need Fit Inside (black bars). When it's stretched, squares become rectangles.

Movement speed looking faster is an illusion. Moving from point A to point B still takes the same amount of time. It just seems faster because it's not traveling the width of the entire screen.

If you're looking for a wide screen experience, might I suggest using a wide internal resolution? 256×144 and 384×216 immediately come to mind.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raxabit View Post
    You really need Fit Inside (black bars). When it's stretched, squares become rectangles.

Movement speed looking faster is an illusion. Moving from point A to point B still takes the same amount of time. It just seems faster because it's not traveling the width of the entire screen.

If you're looking for a wide screen experience, might I suggest using a wide internal resolution? 256×144 and 384×216 immediately come to mind.
    Yeah, I noticed the illusion. It doesn't bother me though. I will check out your suggestion. Thanks