User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who Wants To Be a Millionaire - Need Advise!

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Who Wants To Be a Millionaire - Need Advise!

Hi everyone! This is my first post here but definitely not new to forums by any means.

I purchased Clickteam Fusion 2.5 on Christmas and I've been playing around with it. I decided I wanted to make my first game Who Wants To Be A Millionaire but I need a little advise on where to go from here.

So, I am aware that there are some quiz type plugins included with Fusion, but I'm not necessarily happy with the way they work for this particular application.

I was thinking the way to go may be an INI file? Is it possible to use an INI file to create questions that can be randomized so that you don't have the same experience each time you play the game? I'm not planning on 100s of questions but at least so you can enjoy the game for a bit instead of it just being the same content over and over again.

Another reason I figured an INI might be used here is for the lifelines. I haven't decided all of them that I want to include but 50:50, Phone a Friend, and Ask the Audience is definitely tried and true to the original game. So for the questions, I'd also want defined lifeline "answers" as well so like the 50:50 would pull the right and wrong answer and remove two other wrong answers, ATA can have the percentages for each answer, etc. Also, I want to make sure when I used my lifelines, that once you use it, it's gone for the rest of the game. I'm assuming that would most likely be a global event.

I also decided to change the graphics later on. I was using the original (US) version but I decided to switch over and use the clocked US version graphics, despite me leaving out the timed segment, at least for now. I have that pretty much down pat except for the occasional glint that goes across the question/answers. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/wHl-sN2Npvw?t=29s

About every six seconds, the magenta/turquoise glint goes across the question, what module would be best suited for that? I already have the layers so that it will pass through but not show up where it doesn't belong. Which would be the best module to use, active object or an active picture? I need it animated to go from left to right just like it is shown in the video.

I think that's all I need for right now. Here's the progress so far despite still using the old graphics and just plain old text modules and defined answers in the event editor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1WtPw6LgI

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wound up using a list object for my questions with each line consisting of :
    type of question | question | Answer1 |Answer2|answer 3|answer4|no of correct answer| correct feedback |incorrect feedback then accessing a random line and loading it into variables with the tokenizer. for the glint I'd use an active object set to additive ink.
    you can see it in action here : johnhenderson.com.au/austrivia/index.html

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your quick reply, I truly appreciate it! I have off from work tomorrow so I'll probably give these a try and see what I can make from it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArtbox View Post
    I wound up using a list object for my questions with each line consisting of :
    type of question | question | Answer1 |Answer2|answer 3|answer4|no of correct answer| correct feedback |incorrect feedback then accessing a random line and loading it into variables with the tokenizer. for the glint I'd use an active object set to additive ink.
    you can see it in action here : johnhenderson.com.au/austrivia/index.html
    Okay, so here's where I'm at so far.

I figured out exactly how lists/script tokenizer works and have managed to make it load up questions from the list which is pretty neat. I found the string manipulation tutorial so that explained a lot but I had to rewatch it several times because the author went a bit too fast at times, but I managed to get the basics of it down so I can instruct the program to know which is the correct answer or if you selected the wrong answer.

Now I'm stuck figuring out the lifelines situation still. I've seen people say ebb away from global events so I'm trying to figure out how to go about this. Now, keep in mind I have my things defined in the string tokenizer. Here's my current format.

Question#Answer A#Answer B#Answer C#Answer D#Correct Answer#ATA A#ATA B#ATA C#ATA D#5050 1#5050 2

Shouldn't need too much explaining but ATA stands for Ask the Audience and those will be percentage numbers. 50:50 1 and 2 will be the two wrong answers removed. So here's what I especially need to figure out with that.

I've figured out part of this, but I'll just start at the beginning. I want to be able to press the letter L, that will activate the lifeline choices. I'm thinking just like the traditional game, 5 will activate 50:50, P will activate Phone a Friend (coming later on), and A will activate Ask the Audience (or perhaps a different key since A is already for answer A).

This is where I need help with. What I want to happen is when I hit 5, 50:50 activates and plays the sound effect and also eliminates the two wrong answers based on the string tokenizer defined by global events FF_1 and FF_2, 10 and 11 respectively from my list file. When I say eliminates, I want the answers to completely disappear off the board and if possible, prevent you from even selecting it afterwards when it returns to the question. But most importantly after that, I want to be sure whatever lifeline was used will not be usable again for the rest of the game. I've literally been giving myself a headache trying to figure this part out.

Also with the glint, could you be just a tad more specific. I've got it set up in an active object, but what exactly is the additive ink or how do I go about setting it to that? I have something *sort* of working, but it's always on top and it only pans part of the screen so it looks kind of stupid. Tomorrow I can upload a video to show what is going on if need be. Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posting more of an update to where I'm at so far. It took a bit but I managed to get 50:50 working. I'm not sure if I went the right way with it or not but when I have my 50:50 lifeline activated, I instructed the script to change the answer letters to A, B, C, and D, respectively. The text itself for the answers does not change but now it will see that when FF_1 and FF_2 equals one of those letters, it will eliminate those choices. I haven't figured out how to make the answers completely unavailable yet but I don't think it'll be too much to figure out.

Here's what I have going so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3IZyczjZps

I added the option for Ask the Audience and added in the music but so far it doesn't do anything but I figure that one will be easy to do. I'll keep updates coming as I go along.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have same game on Google play..
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ver.retrosquiz

Try it,if you have Android Phone or search Amiga Quiz on Amazon.fr for the PC Windows

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glint example

Basic Glint example. For a more complicated option you could look at the various lighting effects, add additional frames or layer multiple actives.
    AddiEffect.jpg
    Glint.mfa

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArtbox View Post
    Basic Glint example. For a more complicated option you could look at the various lighting effects, add additional frames or layer multiple actives.
    AddiEffect.jpg
    Glint.mfa
    Thank you so much for this! Your example helped me understand a lot about how coordinates work. I didn't even need anything too complicated since I already had what I wanted done, I just needed to figure out how to get the dang thing to move. But I played around with the values and found how I could manually adjust the speed and location it needed to be at. So here's what I came up with!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJEDoOOAVss

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I need a little more assistance as I'm not 100% sure how to proceed with this, or moreso, the best way to proceed with this.

I may have mentioned up above but just for completeness, I will bring it up again. When I use my lifelines, especially 50:50, you will be reduced to only two answers rather than four. I've watched some tutorial videos but I'm still undecided how to go about this as I think it's probably a bit messy and could have some of the code cleared up with flags.

So take this scenario. The question and answer pops up. The player uses a 50:50 lifeline and takes two answers away. Now, a flag should be used to indicate on this question that the lifeline has been used and the remaining lifelines should resort to using different answers within our script, but ONLY for this question, if the player should use another lifeline for this question. Once you answer the question right, the flag needs to reset so that the other lifelines will use the default four choices, I'm thinking a toggle would probably work. But also, a flag needs to be placed so that lifeline can no longer be used on other questions. What would be the best way to go about this scenario? I don't think global events are really the answer here as I don't want them to be able to take place on other frames that aren't questions.

The way I currently have this set up which seems very messy is that there is extra code that activates when a 50:50 is used. Then once that happens, a negated group is activated and will work for this question, otherwise it never becomes a factor until a 50:50 is used. But I would think that there should be a better way for this to work rather than having a bunch of extra code taking up space and resources.

So for example. User presses L for lifelines. The user then presses 5 for 50:50. 50:50 is used. Negated group Lifelines_After_50:50 is activated and the standard lifeline event group is now disabled for this question.

User presses L again and presses P for Phone a Friend. Your friends come up and you can select them as usual and gameplay is normal except they only have two choices to pick from vs four.

But say we never used 50:50 and instead we pressed L and then P for Phone a Friend. So your friends come up and you select who you want to play with and they have four choices to pick from.

Hopefully this makes sense where I'm coming from. It's a lot of extra programming that may not necessarily need to be there. But here's how I plan on breaking up my game.

Title frames
    Rules
    $100
    $100 - Amount Shown when answered correctly
    (Repeat for questions 2-15)

So essentially every question will receive its own frame so that I can make the string tokenizer randomize question amounts from just that frame for ease of use. That's why I mentioned how I need a flag so that even though you're in a different frame, you can't use a lifeline again if you already used it once in the game.

Clicker

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an active flag on all of my buttons allowing me to grey out buttons that are not viable, eg the 50:50 answers that are eliminated, or characters that have already been selected. I also have all types of questions in one frame with groups switching on and off. A global quiz object contains all of my variables, so I would add one to keep track of each type lifeline together with any necessary flags.
    You can easily use global values and or objects, without using global events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast