User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: String changes position and it's borders

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

String changes position and it's borders

On most PC's my in-game text is shown in the correct position and with correct string object frame size. I don''t have any events that move this text in my game (only events that change it's font via FontEmbed extension).

Screenshot_40.png

However, about 15-20% of users say that text is going out of frame, like in this example.

Screenshot_39.jpg

After some try and error with one of users with that problem I've found out that this bug can be fixed by Disabling display scaling on high DPI settings.

- How to fix: go to game local files and find ''.exe'' file (the game itself). Right click on it and select ''Properties''.
    Then select the tab ''Compatibility'' and turn off the ''Disable display scaling on high DPI settings''. This should fix the problem.

- How to fix Solution-2: Instead, right click on your desktop, select "Display Setting", then under "Customize your display"
    set "Change the size of text, apps, etc" to "150%" (it might first force you to deactivate custom scaling and log off and back on)

QUESTION:
    Is there a way to fix this problem with string without asking users on forums to manually change their display settings? Maybe there is some option I don't know about?
    Thanks in advance!

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I've tried that.
    Now I'll search for some people who had this error and I'll try to see if it helped.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, 2 testers tried this build - did not work. Despite the fact that I've copied the exact code. Any other suggestions?

Screenshot_42.png

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    can you also add "edrt.exe" and re-test
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    I'm sorry, this might be a dumb question, but where exactly or how should I add edrt.exe? I've tried to google what edrt.exe is, but I'm kinda blank on that...
    I'll post my code here again for convenience. Sorry for bothering you so much.

Screenshot_42.png

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegd View Post
    Nope, 2 testers tried this build - did not work. Despite the fact that I've copied the exact code. Any other suggestions?

Screenshot_42.png
    Weird.
    Works fine here with these events :

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegd View Post
    I'm sorry, this might be a dumb question, but where exactly or how should I add edrt.exe? I've tried to google what edrt.exe is, but I'm kinda blank on that...
    I'll post my code here again for convenience. Sorry for bothering you so much.

Screenshot_42.png
    When you run your .mfa in fusion, fusion will build your app to a temporary file and run it with edrt.exe (or edrtex.exe in 2.5+)
    This file is located at
    Code:
    Clickteam Fusion 2.5\Data\Runtime\Unicode

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but the solution with the Registry 2 object and relaunching the application is a lame hack that users shouldn't be forced to do. The proper way to make an application report as DPI-aware is to embed a manifest file into the executable declaring DPI awareness, as explained here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-for-a-process
    In fact, just editing the manifests for all EXE files in Fusion's Runtime folder to include DPI awareness completely eliminates the need to mess with registry for any applications built with it. There's no reason this shouldn't be an option in build settings.

Now the problem with this overall is that most UI controls in Fusion weren't designed to be DPI aware (and Fusion itself isn't either - just look at how Picture Editor's icons look at 150%). So if you build an application that uses UI controls such as buttons or lists, there's a possibility that they will be scaled incorrectly if an application is forced to report as DPI aware. The issue posted in this thread is probably the reverse - the desired positioning of the string appears to have been made for cases when DPI awareness is force enabled like on the developer's PC, while the blurry and offset version reported by the testers is what the "correct" handling of that string is supposed to be, according to Windows anyway.

I would recommend ditching the String object (if that's what you use for the text) for something that scales more predictably, such as a bitmap font. Maybe Text Blitter? I would still recommend to force enable DPI awareness though, because the entire application will be blurry otherwise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Are you asking me to do something like this?
    Screenshot_43.png

Because I don't really see how this is going to change something. As I've said before - I don't have this problem on my developer PC (or 2 other PCs I've personally tested my game on). Thats how I (and most of players) see the string object:
    Screenshot_44.jpg

The problem appears on some PCs of other players/testers. So even if I will add edrt.exe to change its registry info - I won't be able to notice any difference. And, sadly, I can't ask my players to install clickteam fusion and download my mfa file (obviously). I've tried running the application in clickteam fusion with the line about edrt.exe in it and nothing changed for me. Should I send build with edrt.exe to testers? Will it change anything at all? Got any other suggestions? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast